p. metallica mm cohab with female. recipe for disaster??

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
hi all :)
so we got 1.1.0 P.metallica from hamm in december. the person i bought 0.1.0 from said 'shes ready to breed next moult'. so now a little over 3 weeks ago, she moulted, which brings me to my first question. how can i tell if she is really mature enough for the task at hand? she is roughly 5" and the black line she had on her abdomen has nearly gone, its more faint grey dots now, dont know if thats relevant in any way. the mm is making sperm webs and so the other night i thought, yknow, go for it. the female was outside her hide, laid against the glass on the moss when he entered. he started tapping quiety after a while, the female did nothing. he found and approached her, he then sort of stroked and touched her legs 'im ready to stop her attacking him at this point' but just no reaction. after a while he moved away and sat in the opposite corner. today as im writing this i have intro'd him again, and the same thing again, both at opposite ends. he drums like mad in his own enclosure but doesnt seem interested when he goes in hers. im just wondering if a cohab period would be good 'worked with my P.baras' or if he is likely to be in her belly by sun up. anyone cohabbed them before? or info on the breeding maturity for the females? info on here and the net is very scarse with this type of thing. thanks in advance

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does she have scerotised spermatheca?

Check out the recent journal which covered mating of P. metallica

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are you talking about the breeding reports because they are very helpful.
I believe it was in the BTS journal Volume 25 but I'm not sure what number it was. I'll see if I can find it, but if you're a BTS member you can download it from the archives.

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
I believe it was in the BTS journal Volume 25 but I'm not sure what number it was. I'll see if I can find it, but if you're a BTS member you can download it from the archives.
Pete, I believe you are talking about this:

Wojciechowski, A. 2010. Breeding Poecilotheria metallica. Journal of the British Tarantula Society 25 (2/3): 59-66.

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
thanks very much for the helpful info. Hes been in there 2 days now. Drumming and the likes, no insertions witnessed yet, the female seems to tolerate his prescence well.