P. metallica lost 3 legs, also weird behavior

arctichen

Arachnopeon
Okay so not too long ago I bought a Poe metallica. It's been acting pretty weird, like it's movement is pretty weird. Also, I have provided it a hide, but it just sits on top. Well, besides that, she (I'm guessing it's a female, I sexed her yesterday, but I'm still waiting for a molt) lost 3 legs. One she just kind of lost for no reason, the other 2 she lost today. I have a photo of her. Now I know that the legs will regenerate, I'm more worried about her overall behavior, and if she will be able to still walk pretty normally. Also, she has been in my collection for 15 days, but she still doesn't want to eat. She doesn't look like she's in premolt either, so I don't know.

EDIT: Forgot about one important thing, the spinnerets seem to be damaged or just "not working". They may be stuck together, but I already cleaned the area where they are and the actual spinnerets.

Attachments

Arachnanoob95

Arachnopeon
A tarantula losing legs is indeed pretty weird. Have you seen anything strange on her body? Like mites or discolorations or something?
Generally they will regrow their legs when they moult yes, but she is losing her legs for a reason. You mentioned the spinnerets so impaction comes to mind. I have not seen a case of an impacted spider losing legs though. If she is impacted however I would mentally prepare myself for a loss. By the time you notice an issue it is often too late I'm afraid.
Also, I would separate her from your other T's. Just in case she has some sort or mites or anything that might be transmitted in some way. Keeping her away from your other spiders will minimize the chance of a potential spread of whatever it is that she might have. Might not be contagious of course but better be safe than sorry.

arctichen

Arachnopeon
A tarantula losing legs is indeed pretty weird. Have you seen anything strange on her body? Like mites or discolorations or something?
Generally they will regrow their legs when they moult yes, but she is losing her legs for a reason. You mentioned the spinnerets so impaction comes to mind. I have not seen a case of an impacted spider losing legs though. If she is impacted however I would mentally prepare myself for a loss. By the time you notice an issue it is often too late I'm afraid.
Also, I would separate her from your other T's. Just in case she has some sort or mites or anything that might be transmitted in some way. Keeping her away from your other spiders will minimize the chance of a potential spread of whatever it is that she might have. Might not be contagious of course but better be safe than sorry.
I haven't noticed any mites or discoloration, but I think I know why she lost her one leg. When she was in her hide, there's this little hole made by the cork barks not fitting into one another. She tried to leave through that, but the hole was too small so I tried to touch her legs slightly so she would move. Instead, she grabbed onto my tongs. I wanted to place her on the cork bark. Then, she just let go of the leg, and it was hanging on my tongs. I went to walk my dog and after I came back I checked on her and noticed she lost another leg. I took it out. The first leg I don't know why she lost, but she seemed to lose it after I was done sexing her. About the spinnerets, I really don't know why they aren't working. I'll send another pic of her, this time I'll try to make it more clear.

EDIT: Couldn't get a really good pick of the spinnerets since I have an Android, but I think that one should work. The spinnerets are always together, and she doesn't use them

Attachments

Last edited:

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
When you say 'sexing' what exactly did you do? Did you take her out of the enclosure to look at her? I'm not trying to sound insulting...but please be careful. I'm not sure if you've kept tarantulas before, but please be aware that these spiders have powerful venom and are also surprisingly delicate. They are easily injured by handling (this can include falls, loss of limbs, and even death) and it's dangerous for you to put your fingers near this spider. I don't know you and am not aware of your experience level, so don't take this as a personal insult, but it may be a good idea for you to do some research online about this species so that you have a better idea of what you're dealing with. I don't see anything wrong with her spinnerets and anus from what I can see in the photo. With these tarantulas, it's far better to just leave them alone inside their enclosures and only open the lid to refill a water dish, feed, or do some quick cleaning. If you can post photos of the setup, we can also offer some suggestions.

arctichen

Arachnopeon
When you say 'sexing' what exactly did you do? Did you take her out of the enclosure to look at her? I'm not trying to sound insulting...but please be careful. I'm not sure if you've kept tarantulas before, but please be aware that these spiders have powerful venom and are also surprisingly delicate. They are easily injured by handling (this can include falls, loss of limbs, and even death) and it's dangerous for you to put your fingers near this spider. I don't know you and am not aware of your experience level, so don't take this as a personal insult, but it may be a good idea for you to do some research online about this species so that you have a better idea of what you're dealing with. I don't see anything wrong with her spinnerets and anus from what I can see in the photo. With these tarantulas, it's far better to just leave them alone inside their enclosures and only open the lid to refill a water dish, feed, or do some quick cleaning. If you can post photos of the setup, we can also offer some suggestions.
I have red pretty much information about these t's, and I certainly will not handle an old world, just saying. I was delicate with the tarantula, not squishing, tossing it or anything like that. I'm just here to know if when she lost 3 limbs is she going to be able to move "normally" (obviously not, but you know what I mean) and get an opinion about it from people that are more advanced than I am. About the enclosure pic, I'll attach it here. She had a slightly bigger one, but I rehoused her into that one in the pic.

Attachments

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
This may be jargon, I’m trying to find the article but I’m quite sure I’ve have read of a parasitic worm that stimulates the pain receptors within the T’s nervous system, convincing it that something is wrong with its legs and triggering it to flick them off (something akin to that). It is a CB specimen, right?

arctichen

Arachnopeon
On second thought, and after watching a new t video, I think the movement may be normal. But as to if the tarantula is a CB specimen, I don't know, but I think it is (at least it should be)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Have you seen anything strange on her body? Like mites
Also, I would separate her from your other T's. Just in case she has some sort or mites.
The only mites you're likely to encounter as a tarantula keeper are grain or soil mites which are a minor nuisance at worst and completely harmless otherwise.

You will likely never encounter the parasitic variety unless you purchase a wild caught tarantula that already has them.

All You Need To Know About Mites

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I haven't noticed any mites or discoloration, but I think I know why she lost her one leg. When she was in her hide, there's this little hole made by the cork barks not fitting into one another. She tried to leave through that, but the hole was too small so I tried to touch her legs slightly so she would move. Instead, she grabbed onto my tongs. I wanted to place her on the cork bark. Then, she just let go of the leg, and it was hanging on my tongs. I went to walk my dog and after I came back I checked on her and noticed she lost another leg. I took it out. The first leg I don't know why she lost, but she seemed to lose it after I was done sexing her. About the spinnerets, I really don't know why they aren't working. I'll send another pic of her, this time I'll try to make it more clear.

EDIT: Couldn't get a really good pick of the spinnerets since I have an Android, but I think that one should work. The spinnerets are always together, and she doesn't use them
It's very, very rare they need our help. I've seen my Ts in certain situations, and I leave them alone.

Tongs and a T are a bad combination for so many reasons, are you aware of this?? You don't seem to be.

I would learn to leave your T alone and observe it.

As for the legs, it's hard to know why they drop them. But they do remove them on their own, that too doesn't require our help.

arctichen

Arachnopeon
It's very, very rare they need our help. I've seen my Ts in certain situations, and I leave them alone.

Tongs and a T are a bad combination for so many reasons, are you aware of this?? You don't seem to be.

I would learn to leave your T alone and observe it.

As for the legs, it's hard to know why they drop them. But they do remove them on their own, that too doesn't require our help.
Yup, I do leave it alone, and yes I'm aware of the outcome from that combo. Thank you guys

ThatsUnpossible

Arachnosquire
It’s hard to see your set up properly from those pics. Wouldn’t hurt to have the more experienced keepers look at it to make sure it’s suitable and safe.

arctichen

Arachnopeon
R.I.P. Had to put him in the freezer because of a bad molt. I did my best, but sometimes they can't be saved...