P met construction project

5dice

Arachnopeon
My poecilotheria metallica has been up to some construction. He's undermined the bark (going to have to secure that better) and is constructing a "tunnel?". What are you up to, little buddy?
IMG_3401.JPG

5dice

Arachnopeon
Trying to push a nail through a vent hole into the bark didn't work. It riled the spider up and I couldn't get enough pressure to get the nail into the bark. He went scurrying and there isn't a lot of room. Now I'm worried I made it worse. Thinking that maybe I just let it more into its bigger enclosure sooner. I hate to do that since it's still quite small. Hard to find it and make sure I get food close enough to be interesting before it can disappear. It has shown itself okay with pre-killed, so may just have to go that route. :( I knew a poeki sling could dig, but wasn't aware of the major excavation it might undertake! I guess there is some "terrestrial" in the sling instars. Its larger enclosure has a glued-on cork bark. Can't bury itself accidentally. But I was hoping that the construction was leading up to molting behavior. I was planning on moving it after the next molt, assuming that it would grow a fair bit. New enclosure is at least double the volume of the existing one. But I have good access and should still be able to drop food close enough to ensure feeding.

5dice

Arachnopeon
Should I be concerned on the new enclosure about it escaping through the vent holes? It's big enough for the carapace to fit through I think. Not the abdomen at this point (little piggy!). But I do worry about him slipping through. IMG_3402.JPG

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Maybe catch the spider out, fix the enclosure problems and put it back in?

DeanK

Arachnosquire
It's amazing what spider silk can support. Unless it looks like it's definitely going to cave in I wouldn't worry too much about it and I wouldn't bother the T either

If the carapace can get through the opening the spider will get through the opening

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
haha just saw this on FB. dont worry about it, you'd be surprised at what silk can hold. dont take abdomen size into account when making vent holes, if the carapace can fit through the rest of the body can as well.

5dice

Arachnopeon
haha just saw this on FB. dont worry about it, you'd be surprised at what silk can hold. dont take abdomen size into account when making vent holes, if the carapace can fit through the rest of the body can as well.
Actually, that makes a lot of sense. Higher tensile strength than steel, right?! So I guess I'll leave it be and hope for the best. Hope he molts big enough in the next instar to make him safe in the bigger home. May have used too big of a nail on those holes...

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Actually, that makes a lot of sense. Higher tensile strength than steel, right?! So I guess I'll leave it be and hope for the best. Hope he molts big enough in the next instar to make him safe in the bigger home. May have used too big of a nail on those holes...
if its really bothering you, just reach in and put the bark at a angle so it cant fall.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Yeah, why not just open it up and re-seat the bark or, if you need to, catch cup the T and fix it without worrying about the spider bolting during your maintenance? I know its a Pokie, but they're generally not all that temperamental...skittish, shy and FAST, yes...but not especially defensive; its also a sling and not full grown which makes it easier to do as well. But I doubt its a problem either way.

5dice

Arachnopeon
Well, it has decided to continue constructing despite my intrusion early to try to "fix" it. Now I'm wondering if it's preparing to molt. How do you tell with a sling? If I offer food, I'll never get it out of there. Not with his new "project" going on. Could it be preparing a place to molt? He (like I could tell...) is curtaining up both sides of the back of the hollow created by the bark. The "hole" at the bottom may be where he's planning his growth spurt?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Well, it has decided to continue constructing despite my intrusion early to try to "fix" it. Now I'm wondering if it's preparing to molt. How do you tell with a sling? If I offer food, I'll never get it out of there. Not with his new "project" going on. Could it be preparing a place to molt? He (like I could tell...) is curtaining up both sides of the back of the hollow created by the bark. The "hole" at the bottom may be where he's planning his growth spurt?
throw a crik in with no back legs in and see. the cricket will be alot easier to catch with no back legs. that sling could be in premolt. you could also try prekilled food. at that size it should take it if not in premolt. generally if a sling refuses a meal and is fat (like yours) its in premolt.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
To secure cork try this, see pic, prior to the next rehouse. Simple, cheap and can be removed easily. Beats using hot glue any day.

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
To secure cork try this, see pic, prior to the next rehouse. Simple, cheap and can be removed easily. Beats using hot glue any day.
It does work so great...I use twist ties...I even do this to hold vines in position on wood.

5dice

Arachnopeon
Put a pre-killed dubia in last night. Gone this morning. So, no pre-molt. Still pigging out. Still building. Dirt curtains everywhere...

Realevil1

Arachnosquire
Id wait another 2 molts to be safe. I had a 1" Catumiri argentinense manage to escape through a tiny air hole i never thought it could get through, but.. they find a way!