P. Lugardi??

Tecnition4life

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So i just recently got a juv. P. lugarid (3-4in) and i was just wondering if there was any good advice on how to keep these guys. I searched the forum a little bit but didn't find much about them. The breeder i got it from told me these guys need to be kept more moist than i would keep a P. murinus, is this true? Cause i have also read on thise site they still should be kept dry? So and advice would be greatly appreciated.

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
So i just recently got a juv. P. lugarid (3-4in) and i was just wondering if there was any good advice on how to keep these guys. I searched the forum a little bit but didn't find much about them. The breeder i got it from told me these guys need to be kept more moist than i would keep a P. murinus, is this true? Cause i have also read on thise site they still should be kept dry? So and advice would be greatly appreciated.
They spiders from my 'back yard' I keep them dry! infact i keep some of mine on white plaster sand! cause it looks cool! just make sure the water dish is always full!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Lugardi are the only Pterinochilus I have found to be a definite (I wouldn't say obligate) burrower... whereas OBTs can be terrestrial/arboreal/whatever based on what you give them, and P. chordatus like to burrow enough for a hide but still be out in the open. All of my P. lugardi are extensive burrowers... the slings stay hidden most of the time, but the adults come out on a regular basis. I would provide a lot of substrate and let your T do its thing :)

As far as moisture... I always keep a side/part of my enclosures moist, and also provide a water bowl.

And I know you didn't ask about it.. but I have found their temperaments to be more agreeable than P. murinus... they are more docile and mine have never given me any problems, unlike the OBTs and P. chordatus (though, of course, if you muck with them unneccessarily, they are still baboons and will get very defensive).

oh, and.. Congrats on the new T! :D (if it turns out to be a male, let me know... males are apparently really hard to come by, since I can't find one anywhere lol)

Tecnition4life

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Lugardi are the only Pterinochilus I have found to be a definite (I wouldn't say obligate) burrower... whereas OBTs can be terrestrial/arboreal/whatever based on what you give them, and P. chordatus like to burrow enough for a hide but still be out in the open. All of my P. lugardi are extensive burrowers... the slings stay hidden most of the time, but the adults come out on a regular basis. I would provide a lot of substrate and let your T do its thing :)

As far as moisture... I always keep a side/part of my enclosures moist, and also provide a water bowl.

And I know you didn't ask about it.. but I have found their temperaments to be more agreeable than P. murinus... they are more docile and mine have never given me any problems, unlike the OBTs and P. chordatus (though, of course, if you muck with them unneccessarily, they are still baboons and will get very defensive).

oh, and.. Congrats on the new T! :D (if it turns out to be a male, let me know... males are apparently really hard to come by, since I can't find one anywhere lol)

Thanks for all the help!! And im pretty sure its a female:rolleyes:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
No problem :) They are a really neat species! Enjoy! :D

Malestrom

Arachnopeon
I love the heavy bodied species and this is one im adding to my want list. very nice photo and set up ;)