P. lugardi drinkin

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i juss now put a bottle cap full of water in my lugardi's kk in on eof the corners and its got its whole face in it is this normal or wut b/c i got it a week ago and it didnt move much but now it is and drinkin the water usually i juss mist my cages unless it the rosehairs i juss give them a lil dish since they hate water but heres a pic of it drinkin....

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Very normal. Ts of all sizes and ages will drink like that. Some of my bigger Ts will sink themselves in midway up the carapace. It’s funny to watch. But it also illustrates how important it is to provide a water dish.

Wow, that is one ugly T.

JK!! ;)
Wait till its bigger I think they are awesome.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
But it also illustrates how important it is to provide a water dish.
Exactly, no matter what species, I add a waterdish into their enclosre for that "just incase" purpose.

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Plus they are naturally more active at night, you hear some people saying

"I have never seen them use the water dish, it just gets dirt put in it."

Well that means nothing, they are using it just not when you are awake and watching.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi,

totally normal for it the be a little inactive, african species are shy and nervous spider that does'nt like to show themself often, especially Pterinochilus spp. wich hidden pretty much all the time, Pterinochilus chordatus behind a little more visible.

About water dish, I dont offer any to my spider's, I mist regulary ''+ or - depending on the season and species '' and represent natural climate, and they're perfectly healty. I am not saying its bad to use water dish, just saying I dont use any and with a regular misting and well hydratede food, no problem. This said, I am only keeping african species, wich tolerate better a period of time without water, then some other rain forest species. I am not saying to keep african species bone dry at all time, in Africa, theres some big rain season, even in central Africa, and theres lots of tropical jungle, on west coast, where Hysterocrates spp. Stromatopelma spp., Heteroscodra spp., are, where its very humid, and rain A LOT.

Pterinochilus lugardi

Pterinochilus murinus UMV

Pterinochilus chordatus juvenile

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Does your no water dish deal work for all the Ts you keep? Never had a molt problem?
Just curious really. Before I knew of the boards I did things like you but revised it when I read some of the posts on here.
I dont remember having any problems per say, but now that I have seen a T drink from a water dish I cant help but think its helping in some way for them to have a choice to drink or not.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi,

Never, ever had a molting problem, and honestly, this is NOT normal that spider emerge themself in water, that simply mean that the environnement is way to dry, a good exemple, often seen, are Theraphosa blondi. Why would it need a water dish if regular misting is offered ...

Most of the time people who use water dish will let the environnement dry's out because they think its not important.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I see your point. But for me at least its easier to keep a drier tank and offer a water dish then go rounds with mites in all my tanks every now and then.
Do you have mite problems?
Every time mine drink they always do the submarine.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
its not because that my environnement are humid that they're full of mites and parasites heh :D
I used to have some problem when I was learning how to represent a good humid environnement, I did'nt have problem for a WHILE

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How did you correct the re occuring mite problem? When I was living in Indiana where its naturally warm and humid I had a full time battle with mites. I would really like to know how you made a wet enviroment tank work with those pesky mites hanging around.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well first you need to know well the environnement where you live (your house), by example, If I were doing the same thing that I do here, in your house, it would'nt give the same result probably, due to the ventilation, humidity, temperature and the different kind of heat we use to warm our house. Sry for my bad english it was hard to explain

But everywhere theres some basic rules to follow, the most important one is probably an excellent ventilation. After, let's not forget that even in the rain forest, between each rain, the environnement got enough time to dry's out, so this is what im doing. When im keeping my environnement humid, sometimes I let it dry's out a couple of days before rehumidificating the substrate.

Of course, the other basic rule is to keep the environnement CLEAN of any feeder's remain (duh).

As I keep african species only, I am doing my own mix of substrate, I keep my arid species on substrate wich is more sandy then some of my tropical african species, where its less sandy, more like black earth wich keep the substrate humid a little longer. This is easier with the arid species, the substrate dry's up quicker

It takes a lot of time to come to a good result, even today I am still learning, of course, at the begining, we do some mistake but you must not give up, we learn from mistake and beleive me the result will come a lot better then keeping on bone dry substrate.

If mites problem occurs, cleaning then is pretty simple.

Step one : GENTLY grab the spider, like this

Step two : take a smooth paint brush, and remove the mites ... as easy as this

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Step one : GENTLY grab the spider
Yes gently grab your african T {D {D {D

Even I would be a bit nervous doing that.
I have a few asian species which also seem to like it wetter then most Ts. I might have to give your method a go. But the mite removal part I dont know if I can use that method. Thats crazy that you do that.

Do you breed at all? If so have you had spoiled sacs from mite attacks?

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi,

yes I am breeding, and have good success, no dry or dead egg's ... as I said, I got no mite problem so no problem with dead egg's from mites ... European keeper's have A LOT more success then Canadian and American in breeding, and surprise, they dont beleive in the bone dry care.

This said, by saying that I might very well start a beautifull bone dry debate, and if it happens, I wont even reply to it as its a total waste of time. People who wanna keep bone dry have their reason, I have my reason to keep a representative natural environnement, and I wont try to convaink anybady thats for sure.

But, I am laughing hard when I learn that keeper that people consider very serious, has 80% breeding unsuccess, especially when we know that these keeper are keeping bone dry.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hmm my h. gigas tries to swim in my water dish, then burrow under it lol ... soon it will have a big swimming pool with fish to eat yummy ....

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
But, I am laughing hard when I learn that keeper that people consider very serious, has 80% breeding unsuccess, especially when we know that these keeper are keeping bone dry.
I practice flooding methods with my breedings so I know what you mean. I have had almost 100% success with this, but recently with my C.fasciatum sac was massivly attacked by mites most of the eggs were claimed. That's why I was asking if you had ever had trouble with mites. Out of my last 6 sacs this was the only one I had trouble with, but I will admit the sac came sooner then I thought it would so there could have been food remains still present that would have kickstarted the outbreak. I did save about 100 of them.

Does anyone remember where the annual rainfall data for natural T climates and areas is? I think it was Darkfinder that posted it but I cant find it. I need to check on something. But the search function hates me today.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I practice flooding methods with my breedings so I know what you mean. I have had almost 100% success with this, but recently with my C.fasciatum sac was massivly attacked by mites most of the eggs were claimed. That's why I was asking if you had ever had trouble with mites. Out of my last 6 sacs this was the only one I had trouble with, but I will admit the sac came sooner then I thought it would so there could have been food remains still present that would have kickstarted the outbreak. I did save about 100 of them.

Does anyone remember where the annual rainfall data for natural T climates and areas is? I think it was Darkfinder that posted it but I cant find it. I need to check on something. But the search function hates me today.
actually the annual rainfall may not be representative of the climates alltogether. Some places may get a decent average rainfall but all at one time and be bone dry after that. or get some all the time but not a lot at once... ggrrr may be not making any sense at all here.
and then thers Ts that inhabit various climate ranges like the A. hentzi. man they are from semi desert to near rainforest type environments . so how do you duplicate that>

Also i think that there is a differance between keeping Ts and breeding them. breeding them probably takes more attention to the subtle details like humidity than just keeping a healthy pet.
I have been keeping my T. blondi on off and on again dry substrate. I cant say bone dry tho. I water it from below and when i see the sub strate drying up under the surface i water again. you can see a water line and some condensation in the air gaps in the peat . havent had any molt probs ir mold or mites doing this.. now i havent tried breedint them tho

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I want to know that annual rainfall data, that data is normally broken down month by month. I am looking for spring rainfall ammounts to give me an idea of how to better conduct my floodings of my mated females.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah month by month would be good i guess i misunderstood what you wanted lol
sometimes i do that lol
I thought like x inches per year and thats it lol