P. irminia sling question

omni

Arachnobaron
I just started getting in to arboreals and thought a P. irminia sling would be a good addition, but not wanting to make things harder on me bcs I have no experience with them. They grow fast and this one is 1/2". I keep it in a 1" x 2 vial and I know it won't be long it'll molt and be abt 3/4" and need rehoused. They are fast! it lives in a deep burrow and my question is should I rehouse now and wait couple days to settle before feeding? It's going to molt any time now but it's acting hungry. I know if I feed it now, I can't do anything for a while, suspicion it'll seal up right after eating 1 more time. then it will be an experience rehousing a fast, pissed little T. Or rehouse now ? it won't be that pissed just fast and bolty, then wait 2 or 3 days to feed and it molts in the new home. probably a 2.5 x 2.5 x 3.75 AMAC
I read they grow fast but how fast is that and do they actually need a lot of room when so small? it comes out and climbs sometimes but mostly lives in a burrow

cold blood

Staff member
Most fast, fast growing arboreals do just fine with more space...Psalmos are no exception.

Its incredible how much they can grow with each (nearly monthly) molt.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I read they grow fast but how fast is that and do they actually need a lot of room when so small? it comes out and climbs sometimes but mostly lives in a burrow
I've owned irminia from sling to adult. Males can mature very quickly. I think mine 1.5 yr

They are very photosensitive too. Always give fast Ts more space than needed IMO. They will come out for sure, and bolt right out w/the right stimulus or not at times. Males are sexually dimorphic upon maturation, legs look like pipecleaners, and are grey. Females jet black /orange only.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
IME they are pretty forgiving if you give them an oversized enclosure. Mine didn't get shy until they got larger. If you put some brachypelma in an oversized enclosure it can be a hastle but that hasn't been my experience with any Psalmopoeus I have owned. They never had difficulty finding their food plus they grow fast as anything else. One of the easiest of all species to raise from slings ime.