P. irminia MM

complicz

Arachnopeon
Hello!
Just wanna ask, could my MM irminia died from "old age" just 2 months after adult molt?
Yesterday i saw him moving kinda twitchy and today he was in curl on his belly not on back. There is no movement at all. Thank you.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
You never know how long a MM will live. Even though two months seems short, I´d say that´s a possibility.

complicz

Arachnopeon
well i think so, he didnt eat even once since molt and his abdomen is kinda small, thanks for reply

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I had a P. murinus that died roughly two months after his ultimate molt. It's uncommon, but it happens.

A small abdomen and not eating are completely normal, though.

complicz

Arachnopeon
Yeah i was just so suprised :/ wanted to pair my female, just waiting for her to molt. Damn i should try anyway, what a waste. But anyway she is in premolt i guess so nothing from that. That would be my first mating experience...i was so excited

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
EDIT: Wrong info, mixed up threads, move along folks.

complicz

Arachnopeon
that much? well i looked up and all i saw that they have about 150-200 per sac :-O Maybe i was wrong then. Thank you for advice EulersK, love you vids btw :)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
that much? well i looked up and all i saw that they have about 150-200 per sac :-O Maybe i was wrong then. Thank you for advice EulersK, love you vids btw :)
Ignore literally everything I just said. I got threads mixed up :sorry:

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Not really on topic, but that shouldn't be your first breeding experience anyway. Have you looked up how many eggs they have in a sac? And how much they sell for? You'd be sitting on 1000+ slings with almost no way to get rid of them.
That´s an exaggeration. Or maybe you just added a zero too many?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Tough question. You can only offer food and water until they refuse it then its only a matter of time.

I have had a MM GBB last 4 months post ultimate and I currently have one that is 1+ years post mature.

It sucks for the fellas.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's hard to say with mature males. I had a locally-caught Aphonopelma sp. die within a couple of months of hooking out - and another that lived for well over a year post-molt, though toward the end he really did look like a stereotypical scrawny, balding, little old man. Surprisingly spry, though - and still eating right up until the last couple of weeks. My MM Avicularia versicolor, on the other hand, looked fine right until the end - and he also lived for over a year post molt. He lost all interest in webbing after he matured and totally let his web hammock go - it was so ratty and full of holes by the end, but he still used it as a hide/retreat.

cold blood

Staff member
well i think so, he didnt eat even once since molt and his abdomen is kinda small, thanks for reply
As mentioned, a small abdomen is normal, no matter how much they eat (which isn't as much) its always small. Now, they may eat less, but an irminia not eating at all is not normal, Generally the first couple meals with a MM Psalm are met with enthusiasm.

Did he have access to water? I say this because MMs need more moisture and will drink a lot. I always make sure there is water in the dish, and often add a second dish, as well as keeping the sub moist.

2 months is possible, but IMO unlikely as he didn't even eat once.

Did he make a sperm web at all?

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
Mature males tend to dehydrate faster so that could be what's going on, if he's starring to curl then fill up his bowl and dampen the substrate on one side of the tank slightly more than you normally would.

complicz

Arachnopeon
As mentioned, a small abdomen is normal, no matter how much they eat (which isn't as much) its always small. Now, they may eat less, but an irminia not eating at all is not normal, Generally the first couple meals with a MM Psalm are met with enthusiasm.

Did he have access to water? I say this because MMs need more moisture and will drink a lot. I always make sure there is water in the dish, and often add a second dish, as well as keeping the sub moist.

2 months is possible, but IMO unlikely as he didn't even eat once.

Did he make a sperm web at all?
Sure he had always full water dish, also seen a few ruined webs which i think were spermwebs. But never saw him actually do it.