P. irminia first arboreal?

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Hello everyone! I've seen a P. Irminia for sale (juvenile) and i was thinking they might be my first venture into arboreal T's.

I've had terrestrials for about a year and I'd love to hear some of your experiences/ opinions on them. How would you say they differ to say something like an avic as far as temperament?

Thanks in advance - NB

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
I'd say a sling is better than a juvi, gives you more time and rehouses with them, i find avics to be more annoying than psalmos

Last edited:

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
my experiences with my P. irminia so far are much different than their reputation

it is a juvenile and has been calm, docile, etc the entire time I’ve had them - i have yet to see anything approaching defensiveness - it also doesn’t seem to be easily spooked either, I’ve been able to do all the tank maintenance i need without incident (even staying still on a cork bark log while I “mist” the enclosure) and it’s been an excellent eater

this being said, every specimen is different of course but i think an experienced keeper with fast moving species could take one on without issue

cold blood

Staff member
well unlike the above, my experiences with many irminia show them to be one of the most defensive species of t.

Now, its not something you will see under most circumstances, and generally speaking, it doesnt make them difficult to own.....but make no mistake, when cornered, or during re houses or packing, they can be demons....i have had them hold threat postures for 45 min.

They are very very different than avics in almost all ways from the way they live, to the way they hunt, grow and even move.

But im sure its not something you couldnt handle.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
No: The best arboreal Theraphosidae for really learn something about arboreals are P. cambridgei.

@cold blood is right, that species (P. irminia) tends to act (too much) defensive, plus aren't so visible like P. cambridgei are.
P. cambridgei is the perfect "door" for, tomorrow, keep 'pokies' and Asian arboreals without issues. I know that 'avics' are good, but 'avics' are IMO a 'league' per se.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Thank you very much everyone for your responses! I thoroughly appreciate people taking the time to reply.

I considered getting one because its available, but perhaps i should look instead for a spider I'm interested in rather than just getting what's in front of me; I'll have a think more about it.

Thanks again

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
well unlike the above, my experiences with many irminia show them to be one of the most defensive species of t.
same

Hello everyone! I've seen a P. Irminia for sale (juvenile) and i was thinking they might be my first venture into arboreal T's.

I've had terrestrials for about a year and I'd love to hear some of your experiences/ opinions on them. How would you say they differ to say something like an avic as far as temperament?

Thanks in advance - NB
Bad idea - get an Avic

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks gang! I'll get a nice friendly avic instead. I can always go spicier later
You'll have better choice in EU than USA. Get a versi for great eating/colors, get A avic Morphotype 6, formerly A sp metallica for a docile, relatively large Avic

Craig73

Arachnoangel
From my experience this past 1.5 years is Avicularia is a great choice to get into arboreal since they are on the docile end of the spectrum. Here’s what I can say about my Psalmopoeus:

irmania - Most skittish of the bunch.

victori - Least tolerant of the bunch.

cambridgei - Most mellow and reclusive of the bunch.

pulcher - Undecided, middle of the road for tolerance and reclusiveness.

ecclesiasticus - Fastest of the bunch.

reduncus - Most curious of the bunch.