P. irminia explored where she shouldn't have

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Okay so I recently rehoused one of my female P. irminias into one of those exo terra mini tall enclosures. Had everything set up nicely and made sure to put plenty of substrate against the back so she wouldn't dig and get behind the foam background those enclosures come with. Two days ago I checked to see if she had taken to her new home and discovered she had did what I tried to prevent. She dug out the bottom corner of substrate and has now taken up residence in the very back of the enclosure against the foam and glass. I left her be cause she wasn't stuck in the slightest....hoped she would explore more and come out.....checked before I had to leave for work and she's still there. Here's my question....what do I do? Am I gonna have to tear apart the enclosure and how am I supposed to remove her without hurting her? Would it be okay to leave her till she gets hungry and comes out looking for food? All my other arboreals that are in the exo terras haven't attempted to dig and get behind the wall.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I always remove the walls.

I'd wait.
You could always try to lure her out with something sorts soft like a drinking straw. I've nudged Ts out of enclosed places like that before.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Leave her if you want. But You can easily remove those background s, probably with her still behind it. They pop right out. I had a spider or two go behind there, no issues.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
It's almost like they're born knowing how to defeat any barrier efforts and slip back behind those backgrounds anyway. :arghh:

Good luck and success with getting her out safely. :)

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
If you have a way to move her for a bit there's sealants like silicone that would keep her out you could attach it with, problem though is I'd give it a week before you put her back in. Silicone is also easily removed from glass if you change your mind later. :)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I already hated pretty much everything about those backgrounds but the icing on the cake was when I saw that Tarantulas could get behind them, I replace them with cork tile.

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
You have a link for a good source? And how easily does it cut? I have alot of arboreal enclosures made out of acrylic that would be able to open up alot of "web room" up in.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
You have a link for a good source? And how easily does it cut? I have alot of arboreal enclosures made out of acrylic that would be able to open up alot of "web room" up in.
I'm in the UK so I can't help you beyond stating that some reptile shops or online reptile equipment suppliers should stock it, it's not that expensive either (a £15 sheet does 3 of the 8x8x12 Exo Terra enclosures or 2 of the 12x12x18), it's less than half the thickness of the poly backgrounds that come with the enclosures (more space :happy:) and it's pretty easy to cut.

user 666

Arachnobaron
I use cork bark flats bought at shows and pet stores, and glue them to the back of acrylic enclosures.

They're not as form-fitting as the tile, but I think the irregularities are nicer looking.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Update

I, unfortunately, have not had time to fool with the tank but will be able to tomorrow when I get back from my appointment. I do plan on removing the background entirely. I'll check and see what I can find to decorate the back wall with. The upside to living near the country/boonies is there are plenty of woods :D Maybe I can get lucky and find some bark that'll fit and add some plants around the "gaps" to make it look more natural. Thanks for the advice and input everyone. I really appreciate it. I'll post pictures when I get the enclosure completed ^_^

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Be careful putting native bark and/or plants in. Pesticides, parasites and unwanted predators or other hidden gems can find their way right to your T and kill it. I always cook everything I add to kill anything that might hurt my animals. I also don't collect anything that comes from areas sprayed with pesticides, herbicides, fungicides or any other chemicals that might do harm.

user 666

Arachnobaron
Be careful putting native bark and/or plants in. Pesticides, parasites and unwanted predators or other hidden gems can find their way right to your T and kill it. I always cook everything I add to kill anything that might hurt my animals. I also don't collect anything that comes from areas sprayed with pesticides, herbicides, fungicides or any other chemicals that might do harm.
A couple times now I have had to deal with pests and unwanted plants in an enclosure after I tossed in a random handful of leaves.

It is a concern.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight

Yeah we bake everything we find outside and anything plant wise gets a diluted bleach dip then rinsed well with water and let dry overnight before adding it to the enclosure.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have never tried bleach but I would imagine it would take care of any spores that might be residing there. I might try that next time. Up till now I've just used heat. I cook everything for a few hours at a low heat in my oven and that seems to do the trick.

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Okay so I recently rehoused one of my female P. irminias into one of those exo terra mini tall enclosures. Had everything set up nicely and made sure to put plenty of substrate against the back so she wouldn't dig and get behind the foam background those enclosures come with. Two days ago I checked to see if she had taken to her new home and discovered she had did what I tried to prevent. She dug out the bottom corner of substrate and has now taken up residence in the very back of the enclosure against the foam and glass. I left her be cause she wasn't stuck in the slightest....hoped she would explore more and come out.....checked before I had to leave for work and she's still there. Here's my question....what do I do? Am I gonna have to tear apart the enclosure and how am I supposed to remove her without hurting her? Would it be okay to leave her till she gets hungry and comes out looking for food? All my other arboreals that are in the exo terras haven't attempted to dig and get behind the wall.
Just let her hide there if its not harming her, sometimes the best things are accidents.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Just let her hide there if its not harming her, sometimes the best things are accidents.
The downfall of her back there is she has no room to molt, another is I don't like the idea of her back there as a just in case something happens (call me overly paranoid) and she gets squished....or somehow the background shifts. I'll take my chances with a pissed off female with 0% chance of getting "trapped" than the potentional hazard that she may or may not be in currently.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I already hated pretty much everything about those backgrounds but the icing on the cake was when I saw that Tarantulas could get behind them, I replace them with cork tile.
Just managed to get a piece 60cm x 30cm - £16 inc delivery, that's 3 backgrounds.

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The downfall of her back there is she has no room to molt, another is I don't like the idea of her back there as a just in case something happens (call me overly paranoid) and she gets squished....or somehow the background shifts. I'll take my chances with a pissed off female with 0% chance of getting "trapped" than the potentional hazard that she may or may not be in currently.
En garde!

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Females, always causing us problems XD all jokes aside, this is a definite lesson learned to remove the backgrounds or at least silicone around it so nothing can get back there.

Attachments