P. irminia buried itself

MissHarlen

Arachnosquire
So I got a P. irminia sling around 2 months ago and the little thing has made a burrow right at the base of it's cork bark and I haven't seen it since. I've fed it a few times, until the dubia crawled out of the burrow on their own and started running around (I assumed the sling didn't want them then). It's quite funny because my P. cam made a web tube right against the wall and I see it all the time.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So I got a P. irminia sling around 2 months ago and the little thing has made a burrow right at the base of it's cork bark and I haven't seen it since. I've fed it a few times, until the dubia crawled out of the burrow on their own and started running around (I assumed the sling didn't want them then). It's quite funny because my P. cam made a web tube right against the wall and I see it all the time.
It is not uncommon for arboreal species to burrow as slings, though they will spend much more of their time out and about once they get bigger. That, in itself, is not cause for concern - nor is the sling remaining out of sight for extended periods of time. In addition to general skittishness and hiding, many tarantulas will hide away or barricade themselves in their hides or burrows for weeks or even months at a time as they get ready to molt.

However, it is a little concerning that you have dubias freely roaming the enclosure and crawling in and out of the burrow. If your sling is quite small - or vulnerable due to a molt - she could easily end up as a snack for the roach. Uneaten prey should be removed promptly from the cage so it doesn't stress or injure a pet who is not interested in eating. That can be difficult with prey that burrows or hides like dubias, so you might want to start crushing their heads before offering them. Even with a crushed head, a roach will continue to wiggle and even run around, triggering a feeding response in a hungry spider - but it will be incapable of purposeful movement like digging, hiding - or eating.

MissHarlen

Arachnosquire
However, it is a little concerning that you have dubias freely roaming the enclosure and crawling in and out of the burrow. If your sling is quite small - or vulnerable due to a molt - she could easily end up as a snack for the roach. Uneaten prey should be removed promptly from the cage so it doesn't stress or injure a pet who is not interested in eating. That can be difficult with prey that burrows or hides like dubias, so you might want to start crushing their heads before offering them. Even with a crushed head, a roach will continue to wiggle and even run around, triggering a feeding response in a hungry spider - but it will be incapable of purposeful movement like digging, hiding - or eating.
I guess I didn't explain very well. I never leave the prey in there very long at all. Usually just drop it in right at the burrow mouth and maybe give it a nudge. Before when the irminia ate, it pounced on prey immediately. But once this stopped happening and the roaches just crawled right back out of the burrow, I took them out.

That being said, I haven't offered food in a bit since my sling isn't taking it.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I guess I didn't explain very well. I never leave the prey in there very long at all. Usually just drop it in right at the burrow mouth and maybe give it a nudge. Before when the irminia ate, it pounced on prey immediately. But once this stopped happening and the roaches just crawled right back out of the burrow, I took them out.

That being said, I haven't offered food in a bit since my sling isn't taking it.

Some Ts are shy eaters , crush the head and just leave it in there for a day....Even if they don't eat it right away they might still be hungry.