p. Irminia.....actually a new world with hot venom and no spiny hairs!

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
it just doesnt seem to stack up, theyre new world but they break the new world rules, anyone inexperienced, buying then as a n/w could assume theyre a hair kicker and find out theyre not.... The hard way!

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
I haven't heard much about thei venom but I have heard its strong they are actually a lot like Pokies. To me anyway

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They aren't the only ones. None of the Psalmopoeus (irminia, cambridgei, reduncus, etc) or Tapinauchenius have hairs to fling and are NW.

Ephebopus have urticating hairs on their palps, but from what I know of my E murinus and other's murinus, they are more bitey. Imagine other Ephebous may be similar.

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
My understanding was that those "rules" were just general guidelines. Like previous people said, some genuses don't follow the rules. It has to do with their range.

--Dan

lancej

Arachnolord
I've heard/read that Psalmopeus have pretty potent venom for NW also, but I'm not so sure about total lack of urticating hairs. A friend of mine (who shall remain nameless) decided it would be funny to eat a molt from a P. irminia on a dare (dumb@$$!). He said within a few seconds that his mouth and throat felt like they were on fire (he said it felt like he swallowed fiberglass...not sure how he knows that, but I can guess!)! He was also fairly hoarse for quite a while. Not sure if this proves anything, but I thought I would share.:)

Blackbeard

Arachnopeon
Perhaps they have vestigial urticating hairs but I think it's unlikely.
Has anyone ever reported itching or burning effects after handling a P. irminia? (I advise against it mind you)
I still have the last molt of my big P. Irminia female.
I'm willing to try it on the back of my wrist tomorrow in the name of science. {D

Zman181

Arachnoknight
I've heard/read that Psalmopeus have pretty potent venom for NW also, but I'm not so sure about total lack of urticating hairs. A friend of mine (who shall remain nameless) decided it would be funny to eat a molt from a P. irminia on a dare (dumb@$$!). He said within a few seconds that his mouth and throat felt like they were on fire (he said it felt like he swallowed fiberglass...not sure how he knows that, but I can guess!)! He was also fairly hoarse for quite a while. Not sure if this proves anything, but I thought I would share.:)
Wow! It amazes me to what extent people go to on dares.

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
theyre just sooo aggressive! As much so as an o.b.t. Mine would 100% nail you if you went near it. I spose it depends on individual specimens, just to think, my g.b.b originates from the same neighbourhood as the black and orange antisocial creature thats in the next enclosure. She managed to outsmart me during a rehouse a few months back and ended up darting along the floor with her chelicerae wide apart, ready to murder anything brave enough to stand in her way. Needless to say i was a little concerned whether or not i would be able to catch her again without needing medical attention, anyone who has ever had a similar experience with an adult female of this species knows how hard and fast your heart beats when its time to do the old dance. I had my o.b.t do the same but she was no problem whatsoever to recapture

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That a P. irminia is more potent than most NW T's is true...but it also isn't saying a whole lot. Honestly, their venom isn't goint to do much to you--nowhere near what Pokies will cause.

It's like saying "that car is pretty fast for a Volkswagon," ....:rolleyes:

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Psalmopoeus have no urticating bristles. thats a fact. your friend is a idiot. his throat was probably irritated from other things.

Also I was tagged my my female P. irminia and it wasnt anything to brag about. She was 3.5 inches when it happened. so fairly decent sized. Let me put it like this.

Compared to the P. murinus bite(from a 4 inch female) it seemed like a wasp sting.

It burned for about 45 min and left a good sized welt on my arm for about 20 hours.

I didnt get nauseous, sweaty..dizzy, cramps or nothing. it was most intense at around 20 min into the bite.

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
theyre just sooo aggressive! As much so as an o.b.t. Mine would 100% nail you if you went near it. I spose it depends on individual specimens, just to think, my g.b.b originates from the same neighbourhood as the black and orange antisocial creature thats in the next enclosure. She managed to outsmart me during a rehouse a few months back and ended up darting along the floor with her chelicerae wide apart, ready to murder anything brave enough to stand in her way. Needless to say i was a little concerned whether or not i would be able to catch her again without needing medical attention, anyone who has ever had a similar experience with an adult female of this species knows how hard and fast your heart beats when its time to do the old dance. I had my o.b.t do the same but she was no problem whatsoever to recapture
Yes my P.irmina is pretty aggressive herself {D pretty though but very tempramental and unpredictable even more so then pokies.

DJEggy

Arachnopeon
As I told BigJ before, I feel like one lucky owner. My P. irminia is the most docile, least defensive thing I've ever encountered. I've disturbed its home more than once trying to fish out old molts, and I've never had it do anything but run out and hang on the outside of its enclosure. It's fast as hell, so I'll never handle it for fear of losing/hurting it, but its temper is definitely suitable for handling. :D

DJEggy

Arachnopeon
Awesome!

However I don't think I'll try to get my Suntiger to try to bite my next slice of pizza; I'll stick with the Louisiana Hot Sauce. :}

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
Wow thats a bite I would like to avoid so they light you up basicly lol.