P. Imperator?

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
ive seen a lot of pictures of heterometrus scorpions and some appear vastly similar to P. Imperator. I just recently got what I believe to be a P. Imperator, could some one confirm (or deny)? Also I'm not sure of my scorpions sex. ( sorry for poor picture quality im using my phone)

Attachments

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was all set to see another Heterometrus being passed off as a Pandinus, but this looks to me like it could be the real thing! The shape of the claws looks right, they appear to have the correct granular texture, and the stinger is the correct reddish color. Congratulations! Those are getting hard to find these days! (I can't tell you if it's P. imperator or a close relative like P. dictator, though.)

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
Thank you! That's good to hear! I saw a picture of a black heterometrus swammerdami and they looked so similar and I was a little concerned

Ran

Arachnoknight
Looks like you might have a Pandinus dictator.... I see lots of granulation on the carapace and the operculum and pectins say dictator to me.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
Hmm I'll have to look at the claws closer tomorrow, I guess dictators have horizontal lines on them.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
I heard Imperator were coming back to the import trade again??
It would be nice! The only way to get them now seems to be through breeders or rarely at an exotic pet store. And there usually expensive (compared to a 15$ H. Spinifer)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think it's P. dictator also, dictator has generally been more difficult to come across than imperator but popped up in the market recently, though not legally from what I read and heard. imo they should be more expensive than imperator but a lot of that has to do with arachno trends, never know. It's hard to determine the sex on these things, ime.

indytat

Arachnopeon
It would be nice! The only way to get them now seems to be through breeders or rarely at an exotic pet store. And there usually expensive (compared to a 15$ H. Spinifer)
I'll keep you posted. I'm putting in another as soon as they do. My fear is that they are dictators, or worse being passed off like they do with stirmi as blondi

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I heard Imperator were coming back to the import trade again??
I could see that happening. I heard that it wasn't a "hands down" export ban but that there would be a judgment call now and then based on how well populations were doing but also heard only farmed imperators could be exported. I'm sure it's hard to know where they are coming from when they show up to be exported.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
So is there any 100% way to tell the P. Imperator and P. Dictator apart? I'm only concerned because I plan on getting a tank mate soon and hopefully breed them.

Ran

Arachnoknight
P. Imperators do not have much granulation on their carapaces and bodies as dictators do. If you Google it pics will come up from Galapoheros archives.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Were P. imperators overcollected? They were so common and cheap years ago.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Were P. imperators overcollected? They were so common and cheap years ago.
I remember going to reptile shows 15 years ago and seeing vendor that had a 150 gallon tote filled to the brim with them and selling them for a dollar apiece, now you're lucky to find one for less than fifty dollars or more.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Yes things have sure changed.Hopefully captive breeding will help the cause. I took them for granted years ago as they were so common and cheap.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
My first invertebrates were P. imperators way back and sadly they did not live long. Now a days I would be devastated if I lost my trio of P. imperators because of the cost, rarity, and most importantly because I love them! >_>

They're not fully grown yet though so hopefully I still have a while with them. They're at 4i.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
My first invertebrates were P. imperators way back and sadly they did not live long. Now a days I would be devastated if I lost my trio of P. imperators because of the cost, rarity, and most importantly because I love them! >_>

They're not fully grown yet though so hopefully I still have a while with them. They're at 4i.
That's awesome! Hopefully One day Emps will be plentiful again. This P. Dictator is the first, with many more to come! Also I think that I read Emps can have a lifespan of up to 10 years

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
That's awesome! Hopefully One day Emps will be plentiful again. This P. Dictator is the first, with many more to come! Also I think that I read Emps can have a lifespan of up to 10 years
8 - 10 years I have seen before. Up to 25 years for species like H. arizonensis.

MesharPersad

Arachnopeon
Appears to be a female emperor bro, you can tell by their pectines (feather things underneath) if they are a small size such as that, they are female where as the broad, thicker pectines would indicate them to be a male

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I had an Emperor that lived 6 years and was a sub adult when I got it.