P. imperator

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have a pair of emperor scorps and my female appearer to be in a gravid state, however she is a sub adult. Is it possible for a sub adult to reproduce? [i have read that they can, but it is extremely stressful and unhealthy] or is she possibly preparing to molt?

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok when can i expect the molt? she's been growing like this since January. and should i take the other one out when she does?

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
It's a good idea to take the other one out when it molts. Also take the crickets out when it molts. Before if molts it will refuse food for a couple days, other that that i cant give an estimate when it will molt without a picture.

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok thanks. and she usually refuses food. i feed them once every other week or so [but i offer food once a week but they only eat every other] and i'll post a pic to this tread as soon as i can.

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
They will grow alot slower on that diet, that could very well be why it's taking a long time to grow. My adult eats like a pig.

DELV55

Arachnopeon
It's a good idea to take the other one out when it molts. Also take the crickets out when it molts. Before if molts it will refuse food for a couple days, other that that i cant give an estimate when it will molt without a picture.
I thought it was okay to just leave them in together as long as you keep them fed?

Would be a pain with people that have multiple emperors, not to mention you don't know exactly when they'll molt. Personally I'd leave it in there, especially so if you have a decent amount of hides (1 for each at least) and a decent size tank.

DELV55

Arachnopeon
They will grow alot slower on that diet, that could very well be why it's taking a long time to grow. My adult eats like a pig.

There was no specific diet stated, just the speed in which his scorpions are willing to take food, you can't exactly cram it down their throat.

How much they're willing to eat is also based on the temperature in the tank as well since higher temperature equates to higher metabolism and more need for food and water, especially if it's dry.

Depends on the temperature inside there. Eating a bit less isn't bad imo since some scorpions eat less then others and grow at different rates as well. Just remember to fatten up your feeders before feeding and feeding different types of feeders is good too.

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I thought it was okay to just leave them in together as long as you keep them fed?

Would be a pain with people that have multiple emperors, not to mention you don't know exactly when they'll molt. Personally I'd leave it in there, especially so if you have a decent amount of hides (1 for each at least) and a decent size tank.
yeah i've got two scorps and two hides, but the problem is, that they have dug under one [and are now in a cave that is, quite precariously, under the water bowl.] i'm just worried that one might accidentally hurt the other 'cause their always in the same hide.

btw, any ideas on how to get one out [not the one in pre-molt] without collapsing the cave? i'm doing an animal display at one my church events and would very much like to bring one my scorps.

oh and where could i get better feeders? i currently use only crickets purchased at a local pet store but would like to add some variety. i have considered starting a colony of hissers but i don't think my family would appreciate that [lol]

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
also, any advice on keeping the enclosure warmer? i have a heat pad on the bottom but i don't think it's working all that well...maybe one of those nighttime red heat lights? they would eat a lot more i'm sure.

DELV55

Arachnopeon
It's usually not necessary, I've kept 6 juvs together in a 40 without ever having to deal with that problem. Kept them for a few years. Emps like staying together and multiple hides are not really there cause they each want one hide, but just in case they do. Many times they stay together, even as adults.

However, if you want to play completely safe, then separate.

You just have to catch the scorpion off guard and hopefully catch it. I can't think of any reliable traps for a scorpion because usually if they can get in they can get out and any spring trap might be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. No idea on this. I can sometimes lure one out when they have their claw hanging out of their hide.

Turn off the lights and come back during the night, about an hour or two.

I keep my temperature around 75~ at night and 80-90 during the day. That's just me, I find it good enough since they're all pretty fat and active.

How big is your tank, what kinda mat are you using, what material is your tank made out of?

If it's glass and it's big enough so that the mat only covers about 2/3rd or so of the bottom, then you can get a zoo med undertank sticky mat. I use cobra mats cause I had some sitting around. I also have plastic tubs so I can't use zoo meds.

You can also insulate your stuff by foam or go to your nearest home depot and ask for insulation that you can wrap around your tank or be placed wherever. I have 3 40-60gallon mats on my 40 gallon tub.

I'm not sure on red lights because they might dry/fry your scorpions unless you position it out of the way so the warmth spreads and is not pointed down on the ground somehow and create an extreme hotspot.

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have them in a glass ten gallon and have a zoomed heatpad that covers about a third of it [i think]. hmmm maybe it would work to get him at night, the problem is, that they have dug under the water bowl [they wee in the half buried cave and decided the dig into the coco fiber wall. and now their under the water bowl] and they don't come out [even at night] i am up and down most of the night and don't often see them roaming [well when they only have the cave they do but every once in a while they dig a tunnel from the cave and stay there. eventually, it dries up from the bottom and collapses then they have to start over] was gonna get them out for a photo shoot but...no batteries for my camara :wall:

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have them in a glass ten gallon and have a zoomed heatpad that covers about a third of it [i think]. hmmm maybe it would work to get him at night, the problem is, that they have dug under the water bowl [they wee in the half buried cave and decided the dig into the coco fiber wall. and now their under the water bowl] and they don't come out [even at night] i am up and down most of the night and don't often see them roaming [well when they only have the cave they do but every once in a while they dig a tunnel from the cave and stay there. eventually, it dries up from the bottom and collapses then they have to start over] was gonna get them out for a photo shoot but...no batteries for my camara :wall:
It dries up from the bottom? You should take the heat mat and place it on the back/side of the enclosure. They have no means of escaping the heat if it's on the bottom.

DELV55

Arachnopeon
It dries up from the bottom? You should take the heat mat and place it on the back/side of the enclosure. They have no means of escaping the heat if it's on the bottom.
He says it only covers 1/3rd of the bottom or so, I think that should be plenty of space for escape imo.

@OP
You'll def need more than just a small heatpad like that to heat up your tank. On a cold day, even the many heat mats that I have can still barely hold up the temperature unless I add some insulation. If you want to catch your scorpions so badly, just get them out. Then they can redo the burrows again. I don't see any other way and I don't see the big harm in it either.

I guess you have to decide whether you want to give your scorpions a setup that benefits your scorpions more or yourself. Scorpions are known to be secretive, burrowing creatures so no surprise that you're having a problem getting them, should have figured before purchasing. Either be patient and catch or just dig them up (carefully).

I'll also vouch to stick some pads on the side, just watch out for the temperature when your room temperature increases. Zoo med can create a very hot surface on a hot day so 1/3rd should be okay.

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
true. but if it's on the side, it's not as effective 'cause it doesn't heat the air very well...

DELV55

Arachnopeon
true. but if it's on the side, it's not as effective 'cause it doesn't heat the air very well...
Mist and insulation. You can also slightly insulate the pads themselves to increase the warmth but watch out for fire danger on hot days and use insulation that's resistant to heat like AC and heating insulation.