P.imperator i5 dead

jonikniemi

Arachnopeon
Hi all!

So I bought imperator i5-6 small one. Little under one week it was dead. Temp 25-26 day and 21-22 night. Humidity 70%. Exoterra cocofiber, corkbark and some moss in the enclosure. Couple of weeks later I got new one and the same thing happened. This time the later ate littlebit. All my other tarantulas and scorpions are doing great.

I have had imperator before with no problems. This is the first time that I get younger ones.
Both of the instars were kinda of sluggish when I got them but I thought its becouse of stress.

I really dont know what happened and I have discussed this with the seller and we cant come up with a reason why.

Can you help?

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
You mention humidity of the air as 70%, but was the substrate moist enough and did they have drinking water? Shipping causes stress in the animals and often they are very dehydrated once arriving.

Also i5-6 should be pretty large, more like sub adults.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Chasing the humidity will have done it. Throw away any useless dials or stop measurring it with something accurate.

Damp substrate, a water dish and hide. Job done. Trying to get 70% humidity in a small enclosure with poor ventilation is a recipe for disaster.

jonikniemi

Arachnopeon
Thanks for replying.

There was little watercup in the enclosure. Humidity was checked couple of times cause I have meter near. Ventilation is not the issue with the tanks Im using trust me.
Here is a picture of one part of the enclosure and scorp itself:

Attachments

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Thanks for replying.

There was little watercup in the enclosure. Humidity was checked couple of times cause I have meter near. Ventilation is not the issue with the tanks Im using trust me.
Here is a picture of one part of the enclosure and scorp itself:
Sub looks dry. You're getting the humidity "you want" but don't need by spraying the sides when you should be moistening the substrate more.

jonikniemi

Arachnopeon
Substrate was pretty moist but littlebit tryer on the top. The side where the watercup was, was more wet.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
You could put a water bowl in there large enough for the scorpion to soak its entire body in. That helps with their hydration.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Substrate was pretty moist but littlebit tryer on the top. The side where the watercup was, was more wet.
If your scorpion had a burrow to bet to the damp sub that's fine, but if he/she was merely hiding under a piece of cork bark on top of the sub then all the scorpion is getting is bone dry sub. Much better to have most of it damp.