P. Imperator Emergency!

Tokays

Arachnopeon
I just got a new female P. Imperator and put her in with my male. I think she may already be pregnant, but I'm not sure. I saw my male attempting to breed with her, and I don't know if she is refusing, or if they are just fighting. I have them separated right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FjVyLiwDoQ

There is a video of what happened.

Can anybody tell me what's going on. I have had my male for quite a while, but have never tried breeding before. Any Ideas?

zad

Arachnopeon
Humn, it appear to me they was just fighting, theres no sign of courtnership

Male is the larger one??

Tokays

Arachnopeon
Humn, it appear to me they was just fighting, theres no sign of courtnership

Male is the larger one??
The male is the smaller one. The larger one is my new female. She appears to already be pregnant, so I don't know if that is the cause of the fighting or not. Her metasoma ore further apart, like if she was pregnant, bubt she could just be over weight, also. I Have no clue if she is overweight or pregnant, I just got her today.

VinceC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
she didnt get pregnet from that video.. i can assure you.. she was being defensive lol

Tokays

Arachnopeon
she didnt get pregnet from that video.. i can assure you.. she was being defensive lol
I know she didn't get pregnant from that. I meant, I think she was already pregnant when I purchased her. Which might be why she wasn't accepting him trying to breed??

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow he got slapped over and over again, that's why I have a beard. You need some flat rocks or something kind of flat at least, and hard so they won't slip around next time you try it imo. Yeah, very good odds she is gravid already if WC.

Tokays

Arachnopeon
Wow he got slapped over and over again, that's why I have a beard. You need some flat rocks or something kind of flat at least, and hard so they won't slip around next time you try it imo. Yeah, very good odds she is gravid already if WC.
I know they are sliding. That is not their tank, I only put them in there to get a video of them.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes, obvious that is not their tank, just saying they will need a rough hard place to mate if you try. ..you said you've never tried breeding before.

Tokays

Arachnopeon
Yes, obvious that is not their tank, just saying they will need a rough hard place to mate if you try. ..you said you've never tried breeding before.
So what would you recommend? Should I keep them separate? Wait a while, and put them together? What do you think I should do? I don't want to wake up in the morning and find one (or both) of my scorps dead.

Treynok

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would put some coco-fiber in there for substrate and lay a large flat rock in there as well as a piece of bark or flat wood. It is so they don't slide around and can properly push on each other to do the "mating dance" and there needs to be a rock or piece of bark or something for the spermathecae to firmly attach to for the male to position the female over it. They need to feel comfortable in the mating tank, those were some very nervous scorpions in that video. Get a good picture of the female and post it, she looks rather large even know it is just an overhead shot and there is no way to know. Like was said though if you just got her there is a decent ~70% chance she is gravid already when you get them mature. Get a picture from the side and on an angle at the side of her.

I would not keep putting them together until you do a little more research(not trying to be negative there is just tons of info available and there is more to it than just putting a male and female in a tank together), and post pictures of both specimens it will help you out.

Wait did you just put em together to do a video (to get clear shots of em) or were you trying to breed them. I'm kind of confused what you were trying to do in the first place? Also there was no breeding attempt by either scorpion there just a lot of nervousness

Last edited:

Tokays

Arachnopeon
@Treynok

I am planning on breeding them, but that is not what I had them in the small tank for. That is not there actual tank. I only put them in there to show what they were doing. They did that in the actual tank also. The male does the little vibrations, like he wants to mate, then they just start fighting. There is no pushing at all, they just start trying to sting each other. I'm worried that they will end up killing each other if they are kept together, so I have them separated. I will post pics of both P. Imperator ASAP.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The thing I'm not clear about is the "actual" tank you originally planned on keeping both in. Is it pretty big?, what gallon tank is it? I have always separated gravid emps from the males, but I might try keeping a gravid female, even if she has scorplings later, in the same tank with a male if it were a 15 gal or more with plenty of hiding places and substrate. I'm talking 4 or 5 large, flat slate type rocks or hollow log holes and 4 or 5 inches of substrate to be safe. I'm going by hunches there, why not try diff things to see what happens, you might help everybody learn something so it might be successful either way in that sense. btw, I have heterometrus, Parabuthus, centruroides, but I think emps will always be one of my favs. Some people don't like them I think only because they are common in the market, something like native people eating bird eating spiders like chickens, or people in India stepping on hardwickei centipedes. I think emps are a really nice big scorpion to have.

Last edited:

Tokays

Arachnopeon
The thing I'm not clear about is the "actual" tank you originally planned on keeping both in. Is it pretty big?, what gallon tank is it? I have always separated gravid emps from the males, but I might try keeping a gravid female, even if she has scorplings later, in the same tank with a male if it were a 15 gal or more with plenty of hiding places and substrate. I'm talking 4 or 5 large, flat slate type rocks or hollow log holes and 4 or 5 inches of substrate to be safe. I'm going by hunches there, why not try diff things to see what happens, you might help everybody learn something so it might be successful either way in that sense. btw, I have heterometrus, Parabuthus, centruroides, but I think emps will always be one of my favs. Some people don't like them I think only because they are common in the market, something like native people eating bird eating spiders like chickens, or people in India stepping on hardwickei centipedes. I think emps are a really nice big scorpion to have.
Right now, my male is in a 10 gallon tank, and the female is quarantined in a large sized Kritter Keeper. When I put them together, I am planning on putting them in either a 15 gallon, or a 20 gallon long tank. I just took some pics of both enclosures, and both the male, and female scorpions. I will be uploading them sometime tomorrow.

Do you think a 20 Gallon long Aquarium is okay for two adult P. Imperator? Or is that too much/little space?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, keep in mind I'm only guessing because I haven't done it before, but I think a 20 gal would be good to experiment with a male emp and a "gravid" emp put together to see how the two adults handle everything if and when she has babies. That's how I would try it, but, who knows.... anybody reading the thread try this?,literally tried it? I know some are thinking it's a bad idea, I see why but you can always take the babies out if catch the male snacking on one in time, if the female doesn't eat them first.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
1) IF she is gravid, she has become unreceptive and that is why she doesn't want to mate, most probably.
2) When attempting to breed, introduce a male into the enclosure of a female, not the other way around.

Imagine, you are buying a new house for yourself and when you move in, an ugly 200 pound woman jumps you and forces you to have sex with her. I'll bet you wouldn't be happy with that either :)