P imperator bangs claws

Poonjab

Arachnoking
@boina would be interested to hear your take on what to do here. Potentially a mite problem on scorpion.

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
I managed to get rid of my mite problem fairly easily by drying out the enclosure, making sure there was a full water dish at all times and cleaning out the water dish whenever I noticed mites on it. A few times I got nervous that it was bone dry and misted a little bit, but then let it dry out again. With each drying cycle the number of mites plummeted and after maybe 2-3 weeks I didn't see any left.

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
Thank you! I think I figured it out. There was half a dead meal worm under her hide (I never thought to check to make sure she finished her meals). That explains why she wasn't covered a few days ago (or noticeably so). My plan is to dry out her enclosure a bit and move her to a temporary one. Should I put some rotting fruit in her current enclosure and do population control that way for a couple weeks? I'll change the sub of her temporary enclosure every couple of days until she looks clear. I do want mites in my permanent tank because it's so moist, correct? I just need to be more diligent about making sure there's nothing rotten?

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
When it happened to one of my Heterometrus scorpions it was just a few mites, less than 10.
I threw a piece of ham into the enclosure, let it rot for 1-2 weeks.
At that stage I moved the enclosure to another place because the smell was really bad.
I checked every day if the mites were still there, in the second week all mites disappeared, they moved over to the smelly piece of ham.
Carefully disposed the ham into a sealed container.
Ever since I'm more disciplined in cleaning up left over pieces of food, added more Springtails + Isopods and slightly altered/decreased the ventilation.

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
Thank you for all the help. Her permanent enclosure is drying out, and she's in a temporary enclosure. I don't actually see any mites on her right now, but I'm still changing her substrate out every few days. I can see her disappointment every time I see her next to her smaller water dish. Feeling equal parts happy and sad that it was a husbandry thing: I'm glad I could fix it, but it sucks that I caused the mite population to explode.