P imperator bangs claws

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
This summer, my boyfriend impulsively got a female P imperator at an expo and left it with me. I used the guide pinned here to move her into a nice 10 gallon setup. She has plenty of moist substrate to dig in, a hide that she uses a lot, a big water dish she periodically will sit in, and springtails to keep her enclosure nice. She is normally very docile and quiet, but sometimes she bangs on her tank very loudly with her claws for a few minutes at a time. I don’t mind it if that’s just what scorpions do, but I wanted to make sure it’s not an indicator of her being stressed out/something being wrong with her enclosure. The only time I can think of an outside stimulus making her bang is on NYE with the fireworks, but she was also practically trying to climb out of her enclosure, so it wasn’t like her normal banging at all.

Also, I brought up in a Fb group that I think she’s wild caught because she’s quite large and was only $25 (I’m also scared she might be gravid, I’m not sure when I can stop worrying about that). I was sort of condescended to — why would I think that, it’s illegal to import them! But am I right in thinking that WC stuff gets imported all the time? I can’t find any other scorpions her size for under $50 online.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
It’s normal for them to randomly do that from time to time. It’s mostly them checking their surroundings. Sounds like you’re meeting the husbandry requirements, so I wouldn’t stress it.

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
Gestation time of P. Emperator is 8-10 months, so after that you can stop worrying about possible offspring.
About 20 years ago you could buy a Emperator for about $10, but those days are gone since import is forbidden.
At this time a adult should cost more than $25 on the US market, but sometimes people need/want to get rid of their animal quickly.
There is one more suspicious reason for such a low price, that is that it's actually not a P Emperator.
We have seen several cases of mislabeled Emperators on this forum.
You could post a picture, make sure the claws/chela are in focus to let some other members take a look.
Regarding the NYE event: Scorpions don't have ears, but they can sense vibrations in the substrate very well.
My own scorpions sit very still when sensing mild vibrations, but large vibrations make them go into their hides immediately because that indicates possible danger.
Was she able to see many flashes of light from the fireworks ? Sudden flashes of bright light make my scorpions freak out as well, also tends to make them go hide.
In case you think it was about flashes of light, make sure the hide is big enough and completely dark.
Many people use too small hides (like a curved piece of bark), it makes it easier for the owner to see the scorpion.
However that's not so nice for the scorpion because they usually prefer total darkness during daytime.
A proper hide gives lower stress for the scorpion.
About the banging: your scorpion does not hear that banging, it's their way of feeling around.
Their chela/claws are hard as rock. Imagine you go try it yourself with some boulders in your hands to feel your way around a big piece of glass, it ain't a silent method.
Or maybe you have one of those super intelligent ones that expects you to say "who's there?" every time..... :p

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
Just noticed my auto-spelling correction turns 'Imperator' to 'Emperator'.
Sorry about that. It should be 'Imperator'.

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
I don’t wanna quote a huge thing and since I’m on mobile, it’s harder to edit. I think the vibrations are what made her freak out with the fireworks. She hasn’t “freaked out” like that since. She did escape once when I thought her enclosure was too moist and I cracked the top. I was told they can’t climb. Here are the pics I have from that. I don’t really care what species she is as long as I am caring for her correctly/she doesn’t have strong venom.

Attachments

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
Well certainly looks like imperator to me, you got a great deal then! As far as being gravid, it doesn't look like it to me but if she keeps getting bigger then that may be it. Of course if you post a pic of the underside we may find out it's actually a he, then you definitely wouldn't have to worry about it.

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
Nice ! You have a real Pandinus Imperator. All scorpions are venomous, but you shouldn't worry about this one.
It only has a very mild venom (not dangerous to humans) and rarely uses the stinger. It's the powerful claws that might hurt you.
Next NYE i recommend you put the enclosure on top of a pile of pillows or something similar to absorb some of the vibrations.
Happy scorpion keeping !

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
Well certainly looks like imperator to me, you got a great deal then! As far as being gravid, it doesn't look like it to me but if she keeps getting bigger then that may be it. Of course if you post a pic of the underside we may find out it's actually a he, then you definitely wouldn't have to worry about it.

We certainly did! When it was obvious I was stuck with the scorp and I was doing my research, I was thinking about getting two more for a communal setup, but I honestly don’t like scorpions enough to cough up that much dough (my big thing is tarantulas). Of all the scorpions to have left at my house, I’m glad it was this one. Should I assume she’s wild caught?

I guess I should know she’s not super venomous, the guy who sold her to my partner actually got stung while he was showing her to him. I don’t handle or put my hands anywhere near her, so it should never be an issue, but it's nice to know I’m extra safe lol.

Sorry for the dust and hair, I found her under my desk when she escaped. I actually posted this in that fb group and Reptilatus replied and said she’s female.

And thanks for all the input! I’m glad she’s not a stressed out lobster. I feel a little guilty because while she’s objectively neat, I am not as interested in her as I am my spiders, so I worry I’ll be unintentionally neglectful because I’m not obsessively looking at husbandry techniques like I am for my other pets.

Attachments

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
Looking at the basal plate and length of the pectine teeth I vote 'female'.
Relax, the nice thing about scorpion keeping is that once you have found what works as the best setup you will find that they are not so high maintenance.
When you have heating and humidity automated you don't even have to check on it daily.
Have some white springtales do the work for you and enjoy the low maintenance.
Another user @DARTH ARACHNUS posted this picture a while back, check for your self. Pandinus_Imperator_Sexing_Pectens.jpg

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
She seems chill besides the random knocking, and if that is also chill I'm not worried. It sometimes scares me, but I also have cats that sometimes knock stuff over and scare me, so I'm fine with chalking it up to pet ownership. She has a healthy colony of springtails that clean up her stuff. I try to be as hands off as possible, but sometimes she scuttles across her cage when i moisten her substrate. I have a tube that goes down to moisten the lower layers, but I found that she likes her substrate completely damp (not soggy or muddy). She will sit in the stream and will follow the stream. She isn't defensive,and I don't know she finds being drenched in an eyewash bottle pleasant.

Thanks for confirming that she's a girl scorp! I got her in august, so I have abot 4 more months before I can say I'm in the clear as far as babies go. She is a little plumper than in those pics, I think, but she is also a good eater. I actually stopped feeding her as often as I think she'd take food, as I don't want to make her obese and I may have just been overfeeding her :(

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
Yes, try to be 'hands off' as much as possible. Humans may enjoy handling it, but it has no benefit for the scorpion.
You seem to already have good husbandry, the hose that leads to the bottom is a top tip.
Did you know many keepers of this species put a bath inside the enclosure ? They love it.
These and Heterometrus species regularly go sit in a bath all by them selves.
I usually feed my scorpions as much as they want, hence most of mine are desert/arid species and won't eat if they choose not to.
Opinions on this subject differ, personally i never seen a obese scorpion, their bodies just adapt (pleural membrane). They tend to regulate food intake themselves.
Most of my scorpions eat once a week, only the bigger species twice a weak. And every individual has a fasting period once a year or 2 years.
Careful though ! Once you get into some cool Buthidae genus species you will catch the scorpy bug !
BTW I have no method of determining on your scorpion being WC or CB.
However since importing this species has been illegal for years now, the price of a illegal important one should be really high because the importer took a big risk.

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
However since importing this species has been illegal for years now, the price of a illegal important one should be really high because the importer took a big risk.
I was just about to say something similar but you beat me to it. There may be some illegal imports going on, but if so, it is on such a small scale that it wouldn't affect prices like the days they were going for $10. The last few expos that I've been to didn't even have any adult emperors available, just juveniles, so the overwhelming majority are CB.

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
She has a bath! She had a a tiny deli cup and would pathetically soak her bum when she was in her temporary setup, so I upgraded it to a big water bowl she can put her whole abdomen/most of her tail in. She does like sitting in it. Sometimes I watch her backing up into it like a little tank. Now I will stop cutting back on feeding her.

I thought scorpions always stung, so it shocked me when she started tearing up crickets the first time I fed her. I've never seen her use her stinger on anything but a person. I also wasn't prepared for her poop cannon.

It's nice to know she is likely captive bred and we just got a good deal. I have a couple of tarantulas that are likely WC that I feel guilty about. I love them, but I also wouldn't have bought them if I had looked more into that aspect of the hobby. If she is gravid, I've already contacted someone local to me who breeds and sells inverts, and he would take the babies, but I'm also happy that's probably not likely to happen.

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
@FrankiePinchinatti : Overhere in Netherlands/Belgium/Germany they have become rare.
We need to cough up at least $110 for a i3 if we can find one.
@aarachnid : a bath ! Nice !
Younger/juveniles use their stinger on prey. Adults tend to only use it as a last defense, but rarely sting their prey.
Your story about the seller getting stung tells a lot about how the scorpion feels about it being handled, they don't enjoy it and it is unnatural to them.

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
Your story about the seller getting stung tells a lot about how the scorpion feels about it being handled, they don't enjoy it and it is unnatural to them.
He was handling it to show my bf how docile it was and it stung! Then the seller said it didn't hurt (which i believe, he barely flinched when it happened, and the swelling looked comparable to bee sting). Not a big motivator to handle, as she is extremely docile and nice when she's left alone. When I want to hold and cuddle something, I have two cats that compete for my attention.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
I don’t wanna quote a huge thing and since I’m on mobile, it’s harder to edit. I think the vibrations are what made her freak out with the fireworks. She hasn’t “freaked out” like that since. She did escape once when I thought her enclosure was too moist and I cracked the top. I was told they can’t climb. Here are the pics I have from that. I don’t really care what species she is as long as I am caring for her correctly/she doesn’t have strong venom.
yep, as others have said on here that is definitely an Emperor and it's a she. And what a beautiful specimen she is too!!! It sounds like her sitting in water is like she is wanting to bathe in it and her tapping on the glass with her claws is just her exploring her enclosure. She could've possibly been reacting to the fireworks going off on NYE, she may have been reacting to the vibrations (depending on how close you were to the fireworks going off)

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
Just for reference:
I was at the invert show today. Among all the creatures there was 1 P Imperator.
IMG_20200209_133104093.jpg
As you can see the price is €119,- for a i4 / i5. (€119 = US$128,-)
I think you got an incredible deal, I'm eating my pants out of jealousy ! :rage:
On the other hand, there are several other genus/species of scorpion that are cheaper in Europe compared to the US.
For example, the 2 Centruroides Gracilis i picked up today where €10,-/piece. In the US they seem to go for $20 - $30.
Also several Androctonus species are relatively cheap here, full adult A Australis for just €20,- !

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
I told Coal about all the compliments she’s been getting, and I think it’s made her vain, she won’t stop staring at herself. I don’t want to tell her how inexpensive she was, I don’t think she could survive the whiplash to her ego.

Attachments

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
I've definitely seen these available as WC specimens again recently, I believe they are importing legally again as I've even seen a table of them at an expo, two at a petco, availability on bigger reptile sellers sites and even here on arachnoboards but I believe there is a maximum allotted amount that can be exported so they still won't be as common as in the past. Yours is most likely WC at that size but It's not completely impossible she wasn't.

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
One more question: I had her hearing pad on the side of the tank but moved it down a little further a few days ago. Found her like this. Is she okay or is she gonna burn herself up/dry out? I stoked her claws with my tongs to make sure she was okay and she perked up and scurried back to her hide.

Attachments