P. imirnia is a pet hole

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is this the norm? It's been a hole for a couple molts now, its a 2.5-3" male, guessing, as its really really leggy.

edit: what i mean is, its built an underground burrow, quite the opposite of what i'd expect of a decent sized aboreal.

Last edited:

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yes, that's what they do, live both fossorial and arboreal lifestyles. I use plenty of substrate and sphagnum moss with a good cork/bamboo tube for my P. irminia.

RoseT

Arachnosquire
Mine is the same size, and it does spend a lot of time in its burrow, which makes it even more exclusive when I do see it out chillin on the cork bark..got to respect it for what it is, maybe it will mature out of it.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
mine liked to burrow when it was younger and just recently started (its about the same size as yours ~3") constructing some impressive thick tube webs with a lot of the substrate incorporated in it.

they seem to enjoy both, and unfortunately hiding as well. shame, because they are such spectacular looking tarantulas.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yes, that's what they do, live both fossorial and arboreal lifestyles. I use plenty of substrate and sphagnum moss with a good cork/bamboo tube for my P. irminia.
Fossorial?

This is a new word for me can we get a definition? I thought the term was terrestrial an then whether they were an obligate burrower or not.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Psalmopoeus and Lampropelma spend a lot of time sheltered, especially if there is good lighting or in premolt. Sometimes I could find them out and about after 10 or 12PM or in the day when it's overcast.

Hatr3d

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Same goes for Heteroscodra and a couple other arboreals, especially when they're slings/juvies.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just figured it'd be, at least at a few inches, ready to move outta its ground home. :p

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Welcome to the wonderful world of Psalmopeus! {D My P. cambridgei is dug up too, she is about 3 inches LS and she is normally in her hole, but I can see her and if not whole at least her legs poking out of her burrow wich is under the "tree". :)