P Fasciata Problem

Jim1202

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone,

This is my first post, unfortunately its about my adult female P. Fasciata!
I bought her four months, I rehomed her in her enclosure and she was eating fine as expected.
Over the last month, she has been very lethargic and webbing up heavily, I assumed she was coming up to a moult.
I came home from work today and thought she was moulting (I could only see a few legs up in the air as she was in her hide). An hour or so later and she has moved near the entrance of her hide and looks like she is in the death curl position.

My question is, what should I do? I could try an ICU but she does move every now and then. and i'd have to destroy her hide to get her (which I feel may stress her out even more), or should I just keep an eye on her for now?

Thanks a lot,

James

louise f

Arachnoangel
Just one question does she lay on her back... ?? If so then back off she`s probably molting. And again pictures helps a lot.

Jim1202

Arachnopeon
She's not on her back, i'll try and get a clear picture for you.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
She's not on her back, i'll try and get a clear picture for you.
Make sure there's not a molt in there. She may have finished up, and what you're seeing now is a stressed position which is common after a molt.

Jim1202

Arachnopeon
Sorry but I can't get a picture from any angle, she is currently awkwardly laying on her side. She isn't in the standard death curl position that she was in earlier but no sign of movement which I would expect for a moult.

Her abdomen looks healthy so I don't think dehydration is a problem.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
recently molted tarantulas are always contorted in weird positions, dont touch it. P irminia molt before and after. Just molted like a hour ago. I don't expect movement for hours yet. IMG_20170412_151141878.jpg IMG_20170412_165518063_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Jim1202

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, sorry for the panic (this is my first adult OW). Turns out it's just moulted in the upright position. I think it may have finished but i'll check up on it tomorrow.

Thanks for the help though!!

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
My juvenile P. fasciata just molted recently and was in what I thought was an awkward position afterwards as well. I finally trusted my T instead of worrying like I typically do. He/she moved shortly after into a slightly less odd pose and since then has been fine. The only thing I did to the enclosure was pull the mangles exuvia out and refill the water dish.
Hopefully this story has a happy ending like mine! What you're doing, the waiting, really seems like the best option for now :)

louise f

Arachnoangel
Glad to hear that it was just a molt. Want to see a really creepy molt position. Look at my Tapinauchenius gigas. That was a pain to watch.

She is just fine today. Thank god. :)