P emperator questions

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
P imperator questions

Some of you know that Shelby got a female emperor at the ATS raffle at the conference, and I'm working on a setup. Dave was kind enough to give lots of info, but I can't remember some of it so here goes:

1) is a 10 gallon aquarium large enough for TWO adult females, one of which is almost certainly gravid?
The reason I'm asking is the local pet shop has a gorgeous female and she's extremely plump. Looks like you can almost see white things inside her.

2) I bought porous lava rock gravel to line the bottom of the aquarium. How many layers, just one?

3) I was going to do a mix of peat, and playground sand (I chose that kind because it's washed the most, and more sterile). Is that appropriate, or should I use plain peat or a peat/verm mix?
Please give me the amounts of each...thanks!

4) I'm assuming cork bark is good for making hides? I'm also considering adding silk plants

5) Can they climb, or climb well? If so, I will need fasteners for the lid.

6) Should I position the heat pad (UTH) on the side instead of the bottom?

thanks in advance...we want to do this correctly!

Last edited:

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
1) is a 10 gallon aquarium large enough for TWO adult females, one of which is almost certainly gravid?
The reason I'm asking is the local pet shop has a gorgeous female and she's extremely plump. Looks like you can almost see white things inside her. I'd say Ten Gallons is large enough.

2) I bought porous lava rock gravel to line the bottom of the aquarium. How many layers, just one? I used to use sand for my previous Emps on instruction from the Petstores I bought them from. But now I use just straight Sphagnum Peat Moss and Destroyer seems to like it. I'd put at least 2-3 inches of substrate for them to burrow in under.

3) I was going to do a mix of peat, and playground sand (I chose that kind because it's washed the most, and more sterile). Is that appropriate, or should I use plain peat or a peat/verm mix?
Please give me the amounts of each...thanks! As I stated I use just straight sphagnum Peat Moss and my Emp Destroyer seems to be content with just that. I've found that sand leads to a nasty infestation of fleas and I have since discontinued its use. Sand is the perfect breeding ground for these pests.

4) I'm assuming cork bark is good for making hides? I'm also considering adding silk plants Well, Emps tend to be quite terrestrial. Plants aren't really necessary.

5) Can they climb, or climb well? If so, I will need fasteners for the lid. Emps can only climb if you give them something to grasp, which I do not recommend. You can kill many an emp by providing things for it to grasp IE: power cords to heat rocks, plants, etc. with which they could fall from. They are strictly terrestrial.

6) Should I position the heat pad (UTH) on the side instead of the bottom? I have found through some experimentation of my own that if you keep your place at a nice warm temperature a heat rock is not really needed. When I used a heat rock for Destroyer, she tended to stay as far away from it as she could, opting to keep a position near her waterdish. If your room dips below 75 degrees, then I'd use a heat rock. You have to be extremely careful that you aren't applying too much heat to your Emp.

Last edited:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I know they are terrestrial, the plant is not for climbing, it would just provide more hiding spaces, plus I find it esthetically pleasing.
I don't use heat rocks, I only use under tank heaters (UTHs) and I always place them on the SIDES of the tank for the tarantulas, since they can get fairly hot.
My ambient room temp is 80ish degrees, year round, so that may be hot enough, I'm not sure.
I guess I was clear as mud on my questions LOL

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
UTH must be on the sides of the tank for all inverts. If you room is always at 80, your emp will be fine without anything else.

Emps will burrow if you show them where to burrow, start a burrow and they'll slowly continue it deeper and deeper. It took about 1 month for mine to continue the burrow I've digged, so be patient :)

That's it, good luck, Frank

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by FrankQC
UTH must be on the sides of the tank for all inverts. If you room is always at 80, your emp will be fine without anything else.

Emps will burrow if you show them where to burrow, start a burrow and they'll slowly continue it deeper and deeper. It took about 1 month for mine to continue the burrow I've digged, so be patient :)

That's it, good luck, Frank
Just how do you show an Emp how to burrow? Destroyer seems to take great offense to hands being thrust inside her enclosure.

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, remove the Destroyer and start a burrow :)

And if ever your emps looks weird, try to increase humidity to reach nearly 100%, it gives emps a boost and after that they're doing well heh :) (It worked with mine)

Frank

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by FrankQC
Well, remove the Destroyer and start a burrow :)

And if ever your emps looks weird, try to increase humidity to reach nearly 100%, it gives emps a boost and after that they're doing well heh :) (It worked with mine)

Frank
I don't know, Destroyer seems to really love her waterdish alot. I've sprayed her substrate (Which she really hates.) and she seems to still choose a position near her waterdish as the spot where she digs her burrows. I guess Destroyer knows best eh?

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Here's a very good site all about P.imperators, and if you do get the gravid female, I would keep her alone. The moms tend to get nervous, and being nervous really causes them to cannibalize their young. Also the other scorp won't hesitate to take the young ones

Emperor Scorpions

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
thanks Mendi,
I guess Dave was supposed to be at the ATS conference, but couldn't make it at the last minute :(
I received the female from the conference today, and set her up the way Skinheaddave told me to. I started a burrow for her under a large piece of cork bark, and she rapidly expanded it, and took up residence. She also demolished 2 crickets immediately after I put them in her tank!
It sounds like 10 gallons is about right for just one of them, so I definately won't be getting another until I have more room.
I also made a habitat for the baby flat rock, by hot gluing pieces of slate together for him/her.
It also took up residence immediately as well, so I guess I'm doing things right so far :)

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Sounds like you're doing things right. Just a couple notes:

- It is Pandinus imperator, not emperator

- Pure peat is what I use and some others as well. There is no need for sand.

- The UTH should definitely be on the side. 80 is a good base temp, but having part of the tank in the 90s is a definite benefit in keeping these guys.

Anyhow, sounds like you're doing a good job. Has Shelby named it yet? :)

Cheers,
Dave

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
well crap, I spelled it wrong...I HATE that LOL!
Gotta love that edit button!
Thanks Dave, she's unblocked herself, whatever that means. And Shelby says her name is 'Empress'.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
That's awfuly ... normal .... for a Shelby name. :)

Cheers,
Dave

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
yes, it shows a distinct lack of the typical 'Shelby imagination'.
Oh dear, it is dreary, isn't it?!
However, here are some of her newest concoctions for the arrivals from Gillian:

Galachitos
Mayacee
Genoppo
Lockachoo

There, that should make you feel better ;)

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah, those sound better. :) They are all pronouncable, but still the sort of original creations I think we've all come to expect.

Cheers,
Dave

P.S. Shelby is Holley's daughter, Frank.

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmmm, and who's Holley? Immortal_sin?

I like those names btw :) How old is Shelby?

Frank

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
yep, that's me!
Shelby is 8 years old, and she and Elizabeth Mule' , the little girl that was on Jay Leno earlier this year, did a presentation at the ATS conference.
They spoke about kids in the hobby: how they got into keeping tarantulas, and what interests them most about T keeping.
It was lots of fun!