P.Cancerides Molting?

Mallard

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I awoke 30 minutes ago to get ready for my night shift. When I checked on my "T"s I noticed my P.Cancerides on her back in her hide. I knew she was ready to molt,how ever she hasnt moved at all in this last half hour. She is about 4.5". I have never witness a larger "T" molt is this normal?
Thanks Jason

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes, this is normal. She might not move for several hours. She's getting ready. Once the actual molt starts, however, it goes fairly quickly. Resist the temptation to tap her to see if she is still alive at any point. People do this. They get nervous and think "wow, my tarantula hasn't moved for over an hour" and then they touch them. DON'T DO THIS!!!! Good luck!!!

Mallard

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks! Most of my "T"s are 2.5" or smaller, and there molts start fairly quickly. Thanks for the advise. I will just close the cabinet doors and let her do her thing. Going to be a long shift tonight.
Thanks Again Jason

Mallard

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just returned home from my shift. She has completed her molt and has already discarded her molt from her hide. I cant at presant get a clear look. However she is up right and moving. looking forward to watching her eat again. Even if I do have to wait about a week.
Jason

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Congratulations! So how big is your T now? Cancerides tend to grow quite a bit with each moult. Is your showing any color yet?

Mallard

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She was about 4.5" before her molt,I havent seen her venture from her hide yet. Figure I will be patient and wait for her to come out on her own,rather than disturb her.
Jason