P. cancerides constructing an egg sac

gphx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This picture is of a very large P. cancerides constructing a very large egg sac. Currently it would be sufficient to wrap a baseball in.

Attachments

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
whoa!
How many does the eggsac usually average for this species?
Now I feel better about my B albopilosum eggsac that held just over 600 LOL!
Good luck!
Holley

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That is very sweet. That was my very first tarantula. I really need to get another one for nostalgia's sake - may that eggsac produce many cute little ones.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by gphx
This picture is of a very large P. cancerides constructing a very large egg sac. Currently it would be sufficient to wrap a baseball in.
Judging by the size of her abdomen, she has the sac size figured pretty accurately! Good luck with it, Darrin.

Joy

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Congrats! She is beautiful. The sight of a T constructing an eggsac never ceases to amaze me. Good luck !

John

Last edited:

gphx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
P. cancerides

Hi Holley,

Actually I'm not positive what the average number is because this is the first year that my female and males have been in synch and ready at the same time. I have not opened the sac. She gave me quite a surprise. I looked in and she appeared suddenly quite emaciated, so I looked for eggs but saw none, and it appeared that she had eaten them and was closing an empty sac. What I did not realize is that the sac was even larger than it looked because much of it had adhered peat that disguised its true dimensions. In a part covered by peat must have been where the eggs were hiding because I took the sac away from her a couple of hours ago and it is indeed full of eggs. She must have used a lot of overlap, because the finished sac is on par with the size produced by most Brachypelma species meaning reasonable, but nowhere near as large as the unfinished sac by any means.

Thanks also to Joy, John, and other well wishers.

That's two sacs in the incubator and my females are just starting to lay. I hope it is as good a spring as it appears it might be, and for you too.