P. Cambridgei sling in burrow for how long?

Oswoc

Arachnosquire
Yo!
Got 2 p. Cambridgei slings in small enclosures, but both have remained out of sight in their burrows for the past week... no idea whats going on down there.

How long will they stay like this? As in, when do they move from being fake "trap door's to actual tree hugging arboreal beasties!!!??

Plus the tiny crickets I put in their enclosures always end up down their burrows, which leaves me worried that they're brown bread!

TIA

Envoirment

Arachnosquire
Sorry to disappoint you, but they go from being "fake trap doors" to "dirt curtain connoisseurs". :p

My old P. cambridgei stopped burrowing and took to the cork/sides of the enclosure around 2.5-3" in size. They grow like weeds so your slings will get to that size pretty quickly.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
My Psalmopoeus became a tree hugger at about 2” when I rehoused it.

Knowing the last time they molted will help you know when to feed live vs disabled feeders while they are hidden in their web bunker. After molts I fed live for ~3 weeks then switched to feeding disabled prey. Helps gauge if they are indeed eating or if a molt is imminent. Both mine molted just about every 4-6 weeks.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yo!
Got 2 p. Cambridgei slings in small enclosures, but both have remained out of sight in their burrows for the past week... no idea whats going on down there.

How long will they stay like this? As in, when do they move from being fake "trap door's to actual tree hugging arboreal beasties!!!??

Plus the tiny crickets I put in their enclosures always end up down their burrows, which leaves me worried that they're brown bread!

TIA
Until they are large juvi to adults to be conservative. I’ve only kept irminia and pulcher.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
As in, when do they move from being fake "trap door's to actual tree hugging arboreal beasties!!!??
Never, arboreals that aren't from the Aviculariinae subfamily tend to stay closer to ground level (even burrowing), and make use of "dirt curtains" (thick sheets of webbing containing bits of dirt/moss/lichen/etc.) to stay hidden.

Pre-kill the crickets and leave them outside of the burrow entrance, remove after 24hrs if not eaten.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I suggest you post pictures of the enclosures.

Mine didn’t start to do anything not burrowing till at least the 2.5in mark but even then they stay low and build dirt curtains, they’re not arboreals like Aviculariinae in the sense it will totally abandon burrows and like high up.

That being said my suspect male P. cambridgei is out everyday on the base of the wood which is great.
out of sight in their burrows for the past week... no idea whats going on down there.
But it was previously hidden and sealed off in its burrow/dirt curtain hide for 2 full months. And when they were slings I only saw them if they were hunting.

Rozwyrazowana

Arachnopeon
I have 2 P. cambridgei, both molted recently and the smaller one is around 3" and the bigger one was around 3.5" before the molt (I haven't seen it after). The bigger one hid a lot, then after the last molt in his too-small enclosure, he's never hidden. When I rehoused it into a new, bigger enclosure it started hiding again, but it was already in a premolt. The smaller one has never hidden, is always in the open, and lives in a web hammock near the top of the enclosure, like an avic.
So it depends...

bobbibink

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have two — one 3” female who has a dirt curtain /burrow built behind her cork bark — she comes out daily to hang on the other side of the bark for a bit. Slightest sound/vibration sends her back to her hidey hole.

My other I raised as a tiny sling— s/he borrowed for some time when little but then spent time right out in the open. I’ve recently rehoused this one (@ 2.5”)and s/he stays out of sight—same thing, dirt curtain behind cork bark. Top surface of substrate has been moved around from underneath so don’t know where s/he will pop up once I drop in a meal. It’s amazing to watch—- lightning fast!

These guys grow super fast and are mighty eaters!! I love them.

BillsSpider

Arachnoknight
My 2' is of the dirt curtain variety, never see him/her out even late at night, just legs that flash out and grab a cricket and then down in the web tunnel