P. cambridgei Phantom Egg Sac

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Crawlspace laid a phantom egg sac about a week ago and has been meticulously caring for it even though the eggs were not viable. She also displayed increased sensitivity to her surroundings and defensiveness. The slightest vibration would cause her to react. Today I pulled it because I didn't want the eggs to start rotting or getting moldy. She eagerly gave up the sac in exchange for a fat, juicy cricket. After I removed the sac, she began to eat the excess webbing around where she laid the eggs. I cut the sac open and examined the contents: 140 eggs were inside. This was my first time dealing with this and it was fascinating to watch her behavior as she laid the eggs and protected the sac. I think she would probably be a good mother if I ever decided to breed her in the future. IMG_20210116_164219631.jpg

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
My versicolor did the same thing. I hope my p cam never does that. She's huge and fast. I think she would be a little more temperamental

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Always interesting reading about individuals who lay phantom sacs! The altered behavior notation is quite interesting!

How big DLS was she that she layed the sac? Looks like a quite healthy size sac, but I dont know how many eggs are normal for a P. cambridgei

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
She was actually on the small side. About 4.5in or so. I wasn't expecting her to be sexually mature yet at that size honestly so it was a surprise. I thought she was in premolt then she laid the sac.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Interesting that she was on the small size, but kinda awesome!

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Interesting that she was on the small size, but kinda awesome!
Yeah, I think that a good number of females might sexually mature at a smaller size than we may typically expect. I've read multiple times that when they're about 70% of their maximum adult size, you can predict that they may be mature. Crawlspace was about 60-65% of her species' max size when she created this egg sac, so I thought it was interesting.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah, I think that a good number of females might sexually mature at a smaller size than we may typically expect. I've read multiple times that when they're about 70% of their maximum adult size, you can predict that they may be mature. Crawlspace was about 60-65% of her species' max size when she created this egg sac, so I thought it was interesting.
I think you are probably right, i dont think we really know too much about for certain facts on maturity 'ages/sizes'. I had heard the 70% things a lot before. But at least you know if you wanted to pair her, you could!!

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I think you are probably right, i dont think we really know too much about for certain facts on maturity 'ages/sizes'. I had heard the 70% things a lot before. But at least you know if you wanted to pair her, you could!!
Yeah, I think I eventually will, when she's a little bigger and I have more time to devote to raising and finding homes for the slings. An exciting prospect though! These animals are just so fascinating.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah, I think I eventually will, when she's a little bigger and I have more time to devote to raising and finding homes for the slings. An exciting prospect though! These animals are just so fascinating.
Very exciting!! Yeah im in the same boat! Mine just molted finally after being hidden for 2months as a small juvenile. They grow so fast!!