P. cambridgei or GBB

FilExotics

Arachnopeon
Hello it's me again. Just wanted to apologize for my previous thread about tarantula transporting. I hope everyone moved on with it. So this time I wanted to buy another sling. What would you recommend, P. cambridgei or GBB?

These are the factors that I want to consider:
- growth rate
- behavior
- care sheet

Feel free to give your opinion guys. Thanks.

jay444

Arachnosquire
GBB is an easier sp to keep from my experience. P. cam tend to be much much faster and more defensive than a GBB. Both are beautiful and have a fast growth rate. I would not personally recommend anything from the psalmopoeus genus as a second sling.
As for the care, forget the care sheets. You can find good care info on there with the search function.

Tortuga

Arachnoknight
Can’t go wrong with a GBB, they’re bullet proof.
Always visible, great appetite, heavy webber and the transitional color and pattern changes from sling to adult as they molt are really spectacular.

Kick care sheets to the curb my friend and get your husbandry info here. It’ll server you and more importantly your pets better.
2E0485BA-2D7B-4463-82F6-D73E8A1E321E.jpeg
*GBB’s can be, but not always, a little skittish and bolty

Last edited:

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
When it comes to ease of care and overall temperament, a C. cyaneopubescens would definitely come out on top against a P. cambridgei. Both IMO can be very skittish when spooked, with the P. cambridgei having a more jolt to it when it occurs. I’ve never received a threat posture from either specimens I currently keep, they just retreat quickly if anything.

As for growth, I would say both are on the medium side

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
GBB: Much more visible. Great eater. Big time webber. Good growth rate. Colorful. A joke to care for.
P. cambridgei: More reclusive. Great eater. Much more skittish and "jumpy". Grows like a weed. Less colorful.

Conclusion for 2nd t.: Get what you like, but I would definitely advise on the GBB.

Good luck.

cold blood

Staff member
- growth rate
GBB grows fairly quick to juvie, but overall I would call their growth as medium...maybe a little faster. Cams are one flat out of the fastest growing species you could raise...growth is truly astounding.
- behavior
Well, GBB is terrestrial, and a super heavy webber....tends to be visible.

Cams are arboreal, get bigger, and tend to be calmer as adults (slings and juvies are more jumpy). Cams web, but its hit or miss, some web a lot, others not as much.....so they are webbers, but not nearly to the extent that a GBB would be. Cams are more visible as they gain size...adult females just dont hide...at least I have never had a single specimen that hid (I have raised a lot of them btw).

Both have excellent appetites...but the cam is superior.
- care sheet
Don't read care sheets...period...they hold no value.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Did you ever find out if T's are even legal to keep in your country? If so, have you gone through the process to get the permit it seemed you need in order to keep them legally? Two weeks does not seem like enough time for you to have applied and received a permit since your last post.

Can't recommend either species otherwise - regardless of whether tons of other people in your country keep them without going through the proper legal channels.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Personally I'd vote P cambridgei. I have both, and both are pretty skittish. GBB are colorful but prone to kick hairs during rehousing. They're both pretty easy to take care of, but I think P cam is more fun.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Hello it's me again. Just wanted to apologize for my previous thread about tarantula transporting. I hope everyone moved on with it. So this time I wanted to buy another sling. What would you recommend, P. cambridgei or GBB?

These are the factors that I want to consider:
- growth rate
- behavior
- care sheet

Feel free to give your opinion guys. Thanks.
Yes most have moved on from the last post, supposedly. Hopefully you were not trying to smuggle T's. I never saw anything where you replied whether you were or not. I hope not smuggling it is thee number one most destructive force to the hobby. It's also why arachnologist/conservationalist are not on complete friendly terms with the T hobby. It's also why many countries now have stopped the exportation of their tarantulas, Chile anyone....
Also they have cracked down on smugglers. For all things great and small why the hell are people smuggling/selling wild caught T. albopilosus when captive bred ones are extremely abundant in the hobby!!!!??? That right there is retardation in itself.

So moving on........go with a GBB.

LaughingLunatic

Arachnopeon
I know that looks don't feature on your list of priorities, but here's my sling, how can you NOT have one in your life ? haha... and I rehoused this little one (thanks to the advice from the good folks here), and it couldn't have been easier, she literally (after a gentle boop on the bum with a small paintbrush), walked from one enclosure to the other.

IMG_0317.jpg

If things got much cuter, I'd pass out.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
GBB, yes they are a 'hyped' T, but in their case, IMO worthy of the hype. A) Beautiful B) Great feeding response C) Mostly OUT D) Good growth rate E) Make cool webbing F) have cool phases as they grow

FilExotics

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much guys for all the replies. It really helped me a lot, maybe I'll go with GBB first then with cambri after. And I'm gonna make myself clear. I do not smuggle Ts. Maybe most of you misunderstood my previous post but again, I do not smuggle ts. And regarding the permit, I'm gonna get one when the quarantine is lifted. Thanks so much guys!