P. cambridgei bad molt - advice?

Envoirment

Arachnosquire
Noticed my P.cambridgei sling molted and checked up on it. Sadly a few of its legs looked twisted and when I tried to remove the molt it was stuck on one of its legs. Thankfully with a bit of water it slid off, but it doesn't look all too good. I had a close look at its legs and about 4-5 of them seem good and one looks very twisted. The remaing legs have a slight twist in them, but that could be the way it's positioned. The water dish is full, but I put some water droplets on the webbing beside it as it certainly doesn't look like it wants to move...

Any advice on what else I could do? I'm assuming leaving it be and hoping for the best is all that's left. I know tarantulas can do fine with a missing/non-functioning leg or two, but not entirely sure how mine will do as it looks as though it'll not have 3 of its legs.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Leave it be. DO NOT remove any legs. Ts self-amputate. I had an irminia with only 4, no problems.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Something similar happened with an A.versicolor of mine. Definitely leave it be. Mine hunted and lived just fine with four legs, and molted ahead of schedule to fix things. Awesome creatures :)

Envoirment

Arachnosquire
Just checked up and he/she got rid of a couple legs and has 6 in total. Although one of them is very twisted, so it may get rid of that. Also noticed it doesn't have any pedipalps and has a very slight bump on one side of its abdomen. Poor thing! Hopefully it'll start to get on the mend in the next molt. Shouldn't have too much trouble eating as I usually feed it prekilled.

Envoirment

Arachnosquire
Just thought I'd do a mini-update. The tarantula has gotten used to its new legs and moves well - although not fast. Because it was missing its pedipalps, i was somewhat worried about feeding. Luckily it managed to press a prekilled mealworm against its corkbark and sink its fangs in. :) Hopefully it'll molt before the new year and gain back its pedipalps and a leg or two.

cold blood

Staff member
I won't don't worry! Good to know they can function fine with just 4 legs. :)
Ha, with 4 legs they're just fine and dandy...this one had 2, but made it through to re gain the other 6.

Just thought I'd do a mini-update. The tarantula has gotten used to its new legs and moves well - although not fast. Because it was missing its pedipalps, i was somewhat worried about feeding. Luckily it managed to press a prekilled mealworm against its corkbark and sink its fangs in. :) Hopefully it'll molt before the new year and gain back its pedipalps and a leg or two.
Good news is that its a P. cam, and as long as its eating, keep feeding, I'd expect a molt in about 30-40 days from the last molt. They grow and molt exceptionally fast.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Its amazing how fast spiderlings and grown on can regenerate limbs.

I received a mangled C. sanderi from a notorious seller in UK. It only had 3 legs and no palps. I just fed it wax worms until its next moult and after it moulted all limbs were back to normal. :)

Envoirment

Arachnosquire
Update: So after that one (yes just one) mealworm I gave him, he kept refusing food. So I've left him alone and today he molted with some lovely new long non-twisted legs! He's still quite white, so I'll have a look later when he's hardened up a bit. But looks like the little fella has pulled through! Looks to have put on a bit of size too. :)

Edit: Got a good look and no more bump on abdomen and both pedipalps are back as well! :D

Last edited:

Envoirment

Arachnosquire
Thought I'd do another update. He's molted 2 times since last and has quite a big abdomen currently. Just moved him into a larger enclosure, as his old one was getting a bit small and he appears close to a molt. He has beatiful colouration and the green carapace is so vivid and shiny. Cannot wait to see how big he gets when he next molts as he's put on a good amount of size the last couple. Currently about 2.5-3" in diagonal leg span.

The unfortunate ugly duckling is turning into a very beautiful swan! :D