P. Auratus

Zevil

Arachnosquire
Someone told me it's a male because the tibial hook is clearly visible and they develop it one moult before maturity. I told him this one only has like a 3 inch leg span, I don't think he's close to maturity. He says male auratus can be pretty small. Is this all true?

Attachments

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Some of it is true. It is male. But they get the hooks ON the maturing molt so what you have is a MATURE male.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
3 inch legspan seems small for an adult male P auratus, very small! Maybe males of this speicies mature at this small size, OR, there is another opion. Are you sure that the spider you got is a P auratus?, cos tibial spurs never lie! And yes, its underneath its spermwebb!

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If bodylenght is 2 inches, it can impossibke have a 3 inch legspan! Yes, that is indeed P auratus

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Someone sold it to to me as an unsex juvenile.
Yeah, generally speaking, don't buy "unsexed" juveniles. That's how some of the more unscrupulous sellers out there get rid of their unwanted males.

My worst one was a P. burgessi that hooked out on his second moult.

Zevil

Arachnosquire
Yeah, generally speaking, don't buy "unsexed" juveniles. That's how some of the more unscrupulous sellers out there get rid of their unwanted males.

My worst one was a P. burgessi that hooked out on his second moult.
This Auratus of mine hooked out on his first moult with me. I had him for only 5 months and now he's going to die soon? Damnit.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
This Auratus of mine hooked out on his first moult with me. I had him for only 5 months and now he's going to die soon? Damnit.
About the same amount of time I had my P. burgessi, your best bet is to try to sell him on to a breeder tbh.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree with Grim reaper! Unfortunatly, this is a "foul" way for sellers to get rid of males!

Zevil

Arachnosquire
I agree with Grim reaper! Unfortunatly, this is a "foul" way for sellers to get rid of males!
But since he moulted into a mature male like two months ago, I continued feeding him weekly because I didn't realised he was matured. Is it normal for mature males to keep eating?

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
The question of eating subsequent to maturity can vary among species. However, most MM’s will eat almost as usual after their ultimate molt, then downshift as time moves forward, how quickly this slowing progresses also varies from species to species.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
If only my female was a little bigger I'd ask to buy him. You can probably loan him to a breeder and try to get some slings back or just sell him.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
If only I had breeding experience, I’d gladly take him. I have a big gorgeous female auratus and I LOVE phormictopus.

cold blood

Staff member
If only I had breeding experience, I’d gladly take him. I have a big gorgeous female auratus and I LOVE phormictopus.
You shouldnt hesitate to give it a shot....but not this one....this one lives on another continent from you.