p audax worn out

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
i have noticed in the past that as p. audax spiders get old, they cant seem to climb glass or smooth surfaces. i have a female p. audax that i found in my house about a year or so ago and it used to be able to climb anything. now she just sits there on a piece of bark and sometimes eats. i have three other (i think) mature female p audax. two of them have mature within the last month or so and they can climb plastic and glass just fine. the other one is also pretty fresh. has anyone else experienced this in their jumpers?

davisfam

Arachnoknight
i have noticed in the past that as p. audax spiders get old, they cant seem to climb glass or smooth surfaces. i have a female p. audax that i found in my house about a year or so ago and it used to be able to climb anything. now she just sits there on a piece of bark and sometimes eats. i have three other (i think) mature female p audax. two of them have mature within the last month or so and they can climb plastic and glass just fine. the other one is also pretty fresh. has anyone else experienced this in their jumpers?
Ohh man, it's soo weird that you mentioned this because we had a female "False Wolf Spider" (ctenus Captiosus) who passed a couple months ago. I had her for almost 6 months before I noticed she could no longer climb smooth surfaces like before. She would attempt to climb at times but it's like she lost her "gripping" or something. Before she did pass away, she would also just sit there or hang from her peice of bark with a seldom meal here and there. I don't know but I was curious about this as well. :?

Yes, I know.. two complete different species but I still wanted to share that information with you! If I find anything, I'll let you know! :]

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
I was reading somewhere that jumping spiders use little hairs to climb smooth surfaces or something. Perhaps the hairs are worn down, making it impossible to grip onto small imperfections in glass and smooth plastics. Just a thought...

--Dan

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Hi Dan!

Yes, this has happened with my Jumpers too. This occurs before a molt, also. 2 of my Plexippus paykulli females were unable to climb prior to passing. 1 was very old, nearly 2 years old. She did eat, but sparingly.

The other female always would try to reach her coin-wrapper (I use these for them to hide and nest in, they LOVE it), so I put her into it. She was very handleable, and I would take her out to let her explore as much as she wanted. As for feeding, she ate very well til the end. (maybe cause I spoiled her rotten, and hand-fed her? LOL)

With my other spiders, it is the same... before a molt they seem to lose the ability to climb. Once they are active after molting, they are all over the place! {D

I think this is a natural occurance in ALL spiders, tho... maybe others will chime in about their observations and knowledge.

S.