P audax refusing food

GhostMouse

Arachnopeon
Hi all!

I have a male P audax (bold jumper) and for two weeks now, he won't eat. Honestly I don't know how such a tiny spider is still alive, how does he not dehydrate and starve without food? I thought maybe he was going to molt again but he's made no move to do so. I'm worried he's gearing up to die because they don't live super long, he's male, and he's already molted twice (I collected him as an almost-adult).

I offered mealworms and baby dubias, which is all I have for feeders. When I can catch them he also likes houseflies (probably what he was living on when he climbed my foot and earned his status as lord of the jar terrarium) but there are none to be found right now so I can't try option three right now. He has eaten mealworms in the past just fine, and I think a baby dubia once but I didn't see whether he actually found it after it hid in the decor in there so maybe not (I suspect a catch as I no longer see it anywhere). Usually if he's hungry enough he'll snatch a mealie right off the tongs but now he acts very offended by the thought of food and if I put it back in front of him after he's turned away, he'll slap it just to make sure I get it that he did, in fact, see it, before he stalks off again to sulk that I dared try to sustain his tiny life. The audacity.

Anybody know what's up? Is there anything more I can do for him?

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Negating any parasites or disease, the spider will eat if it’s hungry. They can go a while without eating especially if the abdomen is plump. As long as you offer food and water periodically you’re doing all you can.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
I'm worried he's gearing up to die
When they’re close to death they’ll do a final molt and normally walk on the ground because they can no longer climb. Not feeding for extended periods is normal. Our girl just eats when she wants, sometimes she’ll play with her prey and leave it alone. They’re weird.