owning a rattlesnake

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
so does anybody know the rules on keeping rattlesnakes as pets? is it legal to do so?

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, the entire world has the exact same legisation in place.

Please check the world rattlesnake guide to law and regulations.

:rolleyes:

You might want to say where you're from. But, I'm pretty certain it would easy to find your local laws by google.

Joe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Honestly, if you're asking questions like that, you're probably not ready to keep any hots.

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Honestly, if you're asking questions like that, you're probably not ready to keep any hots.
I have to agree...I own quite a few different reptiles and arachnids..."hots" is still something I would avoid even with the few years experience I have with my other stuff.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
come on guys...just answer the question!!!!

check with your local wildlife agency, lawyers office, fisheries dept. etc. etc. they will be able to tell you if they can be legally kept. but be careful, some species of rattlers are "sities" in that they are on the protected list and even if it is legal to keep hot snakes...it might still be ILLEGAL to keep the one you want. hope this helps

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
thank you green bottle!! wow, i was just wondering if it was a state-to-state thing, or if it was a nationwide policy on keeping rattlers.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thank you green bottle!! wow, i was just wondering if it was a state-to-state thing, or if it was a nationwide policy on keeping rattlers.
its a state to state thing. like here in TN its illegal to keep hots. but its not in certain parts of georgia, alabama, and in the carolinas. sometimes even if its not against STATE law it could still be against city/town law/ordinance

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pennsylvania is pretty much the only state I know of where you can keep anything hot. The laws may have changed, I am not sure. IT does vary from state to state depending on previous experience to if you are using them for research or milking them on a regular basis.

If you are thinking of getting into hots, you need to think long and hard about your decision. Your pet will pretty much leave you with a zero percent margain for error for everything from its housing to day to day maintenance. Rattlesnakes are not the most dangerous of all hot snakes, but if you have ever seen a rattler bite go untreated, you will know they are far from the most benign.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
thanks hedorah for the helpful info. i def have to give it some thought. i know there is no room for error- at all :) do you have any experience with hots?

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks hedorah for the helpful info. i def have to give it some thought. i know there is no room for error- at all :) do you have any experience with hots?
Close to none. We are trying to incorporate them back into the collection at my zoo. We have had some training with a couple species, but nothing that I would say makes me ready in any capacity to own one.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just a quick suggestion, i wouldn't start on rattle snakes as your first fast/hot snake.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just a quick suggestion, i wouldn't start on rattle snakes as your first fast/hot snake.
i agree. get yourself a copperhead or a coral. both are less prone to biting. they would rather run. to narrow it down even further. get a copperhead. unless you are alergic to the venom there is only about a 2% chance that it will kill you. most rattlers wont kill you either, but there is a much higher chance that they could. just be careful in any case. have you thought about a venomoid? all the great things about having the hot snake...but no venom. just another suggestion.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldn't say coral snake. They are rear fanged and not prone to biting, but have the most toxic bite on the north american continent. As for venemoids, you pay hundreds of dollars for an animal with the first stage of its digestive process removed. As far as I know, they tend not to do well in captivity after the surgery. Several friends of mine had venemoids and all died after a year or two, sometimes less. It may have been husbandry related or a result of the surgery.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i agree. get yourself a copperhead or a coral. both are less prone to biting. they would rather run. to narrow it down even further. get a copperhead. unless you are alergic to the venom there is only about a 2% chance that it will kill you.
But you will still be stung by a hospital bill which isn't too friendly and you will endurre the pain of getting bitten by the snake to begin with. People oftens suggest you first but a fast snappy non hot snake then a placid hot so you can find your bearings.

have you thought about a venomoid? all the great things about having the hot snake...but no venom. just another suggestion.
Not many people support this, its looked down upon very much by snake keepers.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wouldn't say coral snake. They are rear fanged and not prone to biting, but have the most toxic bite on the north american continent. As for venemoids, you pay hundreds of dollars for an animal with the first stage of its digestive process removed. As far as I know, they tend not to do well in captivity after the surgery. Several friends of mine had venemoids and all died after a year or two, sometimes less. It may have been husbandry related or a result of the surgery.
They are not rearfanged, their fangs are located in the front of the upper jaw, just like their cousin the cobra.
Unwilling to bite yes, but as you say very toxic allthough I would prefer a bite from a coral over a large Crotalus! Corals are difficult to keep unless you have small feeder snakes.

/Lelle

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are not rearfanged, their fangs are located in the front of the upper jaw, just like their cousin the cobra.
Unwilling to bite yes, but as you say very toxic allthough I would prefer a bite from a coral over a large Crotalus! Corals are difficult to keep unless you have small feeder snakes.

/Lelle
Ahh my mistake, I thought they were rear fanged. Thanx for the info.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
First, keep non-hots. Then, get out in the field and work with herpers that work with hots and get used to handling them. Learn under someone that keeps them already.

As for them not being more or less dangerous, you need to look at each individual species and it's venom composition - there are so many species of Crotalus and the anti-venom CroFab is used in all envenomations - designed to work for all in the genus, so the effect is different for different species. And venom yield as well.

I would also suggest a copperhead - this is going to be my first hot, and I can hardly wait. Mind you, if I didn't have someone very experienced in keeping hots to teach me and show me how to work with them, it would be an incredibly stupid decision for me at this stage.

But going out in the field and seeing their speed, defense posturing and reactions is invaluable. (Though I guess they can be much different in the terrarium and that this will vary between species and individual temperament).

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
have you thought about a venomoid? all the great things about having the hot snake...but no venom. just another suggestion.
:wall:

Yes, let's mutilate an animal we're not otherwise competent enough to keep just so we can feel awesome. Nevermind that it's considered an act of cruelty and ILLEGAL if anyone besides a vet performs it--and it's illegal even for vets to do in the UK, and many USA vets will refuse to do it. And that's the LEAST of the problems.

Please do some research before advocating something that irresponsible.

http://www.snakegetters.com/demo/vet/venomoid-faq.html

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You can ask most "hot" keepers and they (myself included) will tell you the same thing....There is no such thing as a "beginner" hot. It is far better to find whatever species you are interested in and do the neccessary research to keep that particular snake. A copperhead wont prepare you for anything really.

. have you thought about a venomoid? all the great things about having the hot snake...but no venom. just another suggestion.
Thats opening up a can of worms so to speak. Removing an animal's venom is not just cruel, its saddening. Check this pic out which is after the operation of devenomizing

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok first of all the laws not only depend on state they depend on county and city as well as some states having laws about keeping native species as opposed to non-native species...so you have to check alot more than just the state laws...secondly the "beginner" snake you choose will depend largely on what you eventually plan on keeping. If you were hoping to gradually keep elapids you would want to start with something like a false water cobra. If you plan on keeping vipers then yes you would want to considder something like a copperhead. Always remember even the copperhead can make you loose a finger or two. not to mention secondary infection that can be really really nasty! So to answer your question I would CAREFULLY inquire into your county/city/state laws if you were to be considdering keeping hots. Also, I too would highly recomend against coral snakes because of the feeding habits...Thnx Crotalus for pointing that out!