Owners of T. blondis (real blondis)??

bioshock

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Whats the biggest T. blondi reported or who on here has the biggest one as of 2010?? I saw somewhere a guy had maybe a 11 incher not sure... Also i know robc had a good female 10 inches or more..

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Whats the biggest T. blondi reported or who on here has the biggest one as of 2010?? I saw somewhere a guy had maybe a 11 incher not sure... Also i know robc had a good female 10 inches or more..
I have currently 3 females Theraphosa "Spinipes" touching the 11" mark.

And one Theraphosa blondi at 10"

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
That looks 9" to me :p Still a pretty big T, nice bulk.
It doesn't look like it's legs are all the way out, plus DLS is always a little longer than measuring leg I - leg IV on the same side. I don't doubt that it's 10".

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't think it would make that drastic of a difference, but how about you take a DLS picure. :D

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't think it would make that drastic of a difference, but how about you take a DLS picure. :D
I see you dont know how to meassure a T using the most current method (Diagonally) and stretched out.
Either that or you missed a couple of Math classes ;).

In fact last molt was 10"

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
APROXIMATED, obviously, but take a look at the femurs and compared with that body lenght.
Those femurs are quite shortened because of the perspective.
If you stretch them out against the floor, flat, it would look somewhat similar like this:

Attachments

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I can say with a 100% certainty that ALL of the T's I have received from Fran where measured with great precision and where as big if not bigger than stated.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I see you dont know how to meassure a T using the most current method (Diagonally) and stretched out.
Either that or you missed a couple of Math classes ;).

In fact last molt was 10"
Um I've been measuring my Ts DLS since 2004, and I was in Calculus when I graduated high school. Sorry to sound so defense, but I've been in this hobby awhile and am proud of my math, so..

Molts are inaccurate.

I can say with a 100% certainty that ALL of the T's I have received from Fran where measured with great precision and where as big if not bigger than stated.
I believe you rob, but the T in that picture does not look 10", maybbbeee if you were to stetch it out like Fran is suggesting, but Ts are meant to be measuring in normal resting position. I am 5' 10". but I can easily be 5' 11". :rolleyes: That wouldb't be my accurate height.

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm going to agree with Novak... I'd say she's pushing 9.5" but I'll give you the benifit of the doubt... She can squeeze out .5" :rolleyes:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
In my personal experience the biggest spiders I've ever seen, in my opinion, were Theraphosa sp. "Burgundy". Maybe not as "thick" as T. blondi , but definitively longer in leg span.

With that said, I've only seen a "handfull" of real adult T. blondi and T. apophysis over the years, so my opinions mean squat.:rolleyes:

Hi Fran,
When and who made this the most current method? When I sell a spider I estimate my guess on DLS, of a spider in a normal relaxed stance. Although I do agree a stretched molt is the best measurement for determining the largest spider, I wouldn't feel comfortable selling a spider with this method.:cool:

Later, Tom

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ts are meant to be measuring in normal resting position. I am 5' 10". but I can easily be 5' 11". :rolleyes: That wouldb't be my accurate height.
I disagree. I believe this is rather a keeper opinion than a scientific way to measure. "Normal" resting position is subjective and can be quite variable. Terrestrials, especially after a molt will also stretch out. This may be less frequent than Pokies, etc, but still well within the range of normalcy for terrestrials. Furthermore, there is quite a few angles of position either side of usual that could also be considered "normal". However, measurements taken with t stretched out are much closer to the actual length of the t, and imop, the closest to the correct way to measure. Either that, or we U.S. keepers as a whole need to start measuring bl as our friends in Europe.

Sure, molts aren't accurate because they shrink quite a bit after hardening. Conversely, they can also be stretched c-o-n-s-i-d-e-r-a-b-l-y when fresh.

My .5 ;)

Terry

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Um I've been measuring my Ts DLS since 2004, and I was in Calculus when I graduated high school. Sorry to sound so defense, but I've been in this hobby awhile and am proud of my math, so..

Molts are inaccurate.

I believe you rob, but the T in that picture does not look 10", maybbbeee if you were to stetch it out like Fran is suggesting, but Ts are meant to be measuring in normal resting position. I am 5' 10". but I can easily be 5' 11". :rolleyes: That wouldb't be my accurate height.
Actually it would be your accurate height wouldn't.....you don't measure yourself slumped over do you....not being rude but I stand up as straight as possible for total accurate height.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Actually it would be your accurate height wouldn't.....you don't measure yourself slumped over do you....not being rude but I stand up as straight as possible for total accurate height.
I stand straight; I just don't stretch.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I disagree. I believe this is rather a keeper opinion than a scientific way to measure. "Normal" resting position is subjective and can be quite variable. Terrestrials, especially after a molt will also stretch out. This may be less frequent than Pokies, etc, but still well within the range of normalcy for terrestrials. Furthermore, there is quite a few angles of position either side of usual that could also be considered "normal". However, measurements taken with t stretched out are much closer to the actual length of the t, and imop, the closest to the correct way to measure. Either that, or we U.S. keepers as a whole need to start measuring bl as our friends in Europe.

Sure, molts aren't accurate because they shrink quite a bit after hardening. Conversely, they can also be stretched c-o-n-s-i-d-e-r-a-b-l-y when fresh.

My .5 ;)

Terry

I agree with the fact that it is the keepers decision as to which way to measure. Though technically, stretching can be subjective as well. You can stretch a T a bit more than it's actual legspan. Just like a molt hardens and shrinks abit, so does the actual T.

Anyways, I agree to disagree. The T is large anyways.

Got any "stretched" out pictures of your 11" gals? :D

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I agree with the fact that it is the keepers decision as to which way to measure. Though technically, stretching can be subjective as well. You can stretch a T a bit more than it's actual legspan. Just like a molt hardens and shrinks abit, so does the actual T.

Anyways, I agree to disagree. The T is large anyways.

Got any "stretched" out pictures of your 11" gals? :D
Yeah, the last two sentences of the first paragraph sound a bit wack in terms of applicability to the situation- unless one really wanted to cause undue stress. I did not relay my thoughts as precisely as I'd intended in my earlier reply. I failed to mention "closest you can get to stretched position would be more accurate".

I agree that it's a huge t.

No, and neither did I claim to.............but that'll change :)

Terry