OW Observation Question

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
So, I lost my first one since getting back into it, an H. Mac I got with credit from my local T store. The one in question I had for 2 days prior to him suddenly going into a death curl overnight and dead the next day, like I had not even finished his permanent housing unit! I would like to think given there was a gentle transport home and food and water provided that this was not my care given my other 27 Ts have been thriving for some time now with numerous molts. My question though is usually when I receive one I look at them closely for any signs of ill health prior to purchase, in this case though it was an H. Mac in an opaque container with an extremely bad attitude so I was limited on my ability of observation prior to moving him to the larger clear acrylic permanent housing I was making for him. Anyone have any suggestions on how to inspect something in a situation like this? Keep in mind due to Ulnar nerve damage my reactions aren't the fastest so usually with my OWs its a game of multiple containment like a Russian nesting doll thing and planning ahead of what they might do when rehousing or transporting. (This also has kept me away from getting the S. Calceatum I dream of. :( )

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The problem here is that we don't and can't know why your Theraphosidae died so fast. I mean, not even within two days and the H.maculata already died? IMO the specimen was already in trouble at the pet store is my guess.

I'm sorry man.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Oh, btw, since you mentioned S.calceatum as well. I don't think that, one moment, there's too much differences between those two African Theraphosidae. Both are fast as light, with a baddy temperament (I'm talking in general, because temperament always vary) and a brutal venom.

Altough seems that S.calceatum venom could be a bit worst, I don't see particular differences at all when it comes to their care and how they live even if, IMO, H.maculata are kinda 'I hate light vampires' ah ah. So, if you can keep for an H.maculata, you can keep a S.calceatum as well.

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
Oh, btw, since you mentioned S.calceatum as well. I don't think that, one moment, there's too much differences between those two African Theraphosidae. Both are fast as light, with a baddy temperament (I'm talking in general, because temperament always vary) and a brutal venom.

Altough seems that S.calceatum venom could be a bit worst, I don't see particular differences at all when it comes to their care and how they live even if, IMO, H.maculata are kinda 'I hate light vampires' ah ah. So, if you can keep for an H.maculata, you can keep a S.calceatum as well.
Thats good to know. Id read about them and assumed they were in a league way beyond H Mac or P Murinus. :) Unfortunatley I dont know much given I wouldnt of even gotten anything from this store to begin with but they are the only reptile shop and when we got rid of our pytho s due to moving they took them and gave us 450 worth or animal or T credit. Luckily so far the ithers are doing fine and I tried to pick them up the day they arrived but still...not going back there again.

cold blood

Staff member
Ive never once felt the need to inspect a new t for health...they dont suffer from illnesses like we do...if its alive, no matter how rough it is, it will look perfect after the next molt....ts fix themselves.

Now ive found H. mac slings to be one of the more sensitive slings to raise...too much moisture, they die, inadequate ventilation, they die, combine these and they may not last the night....ive found it best to keep even small ones on the drier side and i give more space than i typically might....straight to a 32oz deli at under 1/2".

I will also say that its permenant enclosure is where it should go straight away...it takes 2 min to set up, i dont know why you would have a sling in a temporary set up for days after getting it...set up its home before you get the next one so everythings perfect.

cold blood

Staff member

agreed

cold blood

Staff member
Thats good to know. Id read about them and assumed they were in a league way beyond H Mac or P Murinus. :) Unfortunatley I dont know much given I wouldnt of even gotten anything from this store to begin with but they are the only reptile shop and when we got rid of our pytho s due to moving they took them and gave us 450 worth or animal or T credit. Luckily so far the ithers are doing fine and I tried to pick them up the day they arrived but still...not going back there again.
H. mac and S. cal are both in a league waaaaay beyond murinus...theyre right there in a small group of the most advanced species in the hobby.

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
Ive never once felt the need to inspect a new t for health...they dont suffer from illnesses like we do...if its alive, no matter how rough it is, it will look perfect after the next molt....ts fix themselves.

Now ive found H. mac slings to be one of the more sensitive slings to raise...too much moisture, they die, inadequate ventilation, they die, combine these and they may not last the night....Ive found it best to keep even small ones on the drier side and i give more space than i typically might....straight to a 32oz deli at under 1/2".

I will also say that its permanent enclosure is where it should go straight away...it takes 2 min to set up, i don't know why you would have a sling in a temporary set up for days after getting it...set up its home before you get the next one so everything's perfect.
He was in a large deli cup, though the H. Mac in question was at the juvenile stage instead of a sling. As for permanent enclosures mine are acrylic display cages with drilled ventilation, glued and hinged lid with locks and locking pins so they take a little bit to cure and setup before they are completely safe for Ts due to the glue. But they look damned nice. Usually I have cages on standby but with this same store it has been several months of "Tomorrow" on waiting for Ts to come in so I can use my credit and I am moving soon, that combined with the conditions they often keep them in spurred the decision to act quicker than usual. Inspection wise I usually look for signs of nematodes, etc but then again I'm also paranoid about containment and intake/quarantine so this may be just me being overly cautious lol. :)

H. mac and S. cal are both in a league waaaaay beyond murinus...theyre right there in a small group of the most advanced species in the hobby.
So you would rate S Cal the same? I've looked at them before but if they're no worse than an H. Mac I may finally spring for one, provided I can find one that is. I googled them and heard reports of them leaping from fruit trees, running up arms, etc so I assumed they were way beyond even my older H. Mac's capabilities. :D

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
So you would rate S Cal the same? I've looked at them before but if they're no worse than an H. Mac I may finally spring for one, provided I can find one that is. I googled them and heard reports of them leaping from fruit trees, running up arms, etc so I assumed they were way beyond even my older H. Mac's capabilities. :D
They aren't the same, they are (H.maculata - S.calceatum) different Theraphosidae just that they are very similar. The parameters are + or - the same for that they are both Western Africa arboreals.

In Italy the keeping of a S.calceatum isn't a 'starting point' or 'intermediate' or whatever, but one of the milestones of the advanced.

Unlike P.murinus 'OBT' (which btw they are fast, fast and agile as well even if a lot of people sometimes tend to undermine, in good faith, P.murinus speed) those are kinda 'OBT with wings', lol

At the end of the day the scenario/s you mentioned (like 'running up arms') can apply to every arboreal Theraphosidae, one moment.

Here thing with those two Africans is: brutal venom potency, high strung 24/7 always mode :-s

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
They aren't the same, they are (H.maculata - S.calceatum) different Theraphosidae just that they are very similar. The parameters are + or - the same for that they are both Western Africa arboreals.

In Italy the keeping of a S.calceatum isn't a 'starting point' or 'intermediate' or whatever, but one of the milestones of the advanced.

Unlike P.murinus 'OBT' (which btw they are fast, fast and agile as well even if a lot of people sometimes tend to undermine, in good faith, P.murinus speed) those are kinda 'OBT with wings', lol

At the end of the day the scenario/s you mentioned (like 'running up arms') can apply to every arboreal Theraphosidae, one moment.

Here thing with those two Africans is: brutal venom potency, high strung 24/7 always mode :-s
Sounds like fun lol. I meant same as in speed/requirements. :) How are they as far as being out in the open? Its one of my reasons fod my OBT being among my favs is shes always out on display and not holed up in her web like all my pokies lol.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Sounds like fun lol. I meant same as in speed/requirements. :) How are they as far as being out in the open? Its one of my reasons fod my OBT being among my favs is shes always out on display and not holed up in her web like all my pokies lol.
My experience with those (even if I don't own said T's I had to deal with them, including a juve S.calceatum on the wall, lol) is that, especially H.maculata, they are sorta 'reclusive', avoid light. Personally (talking only about 0.1 specimens) at a aesthetic level only I prefer H.maculata.

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
Yeah I love how striking the H. Mac are and while I would love a S Cal I doubt I will ever find one local given I like to see it before buying lol. Maybe I can setup something like the red light I was planning for my new rack build.

cold blood

Staff member
H. mac and S. cal are exceedingly reclusive and photosensitive....terrible display spiders...I consider H. mac to be the single most reclusive species ive dealt with...they make irminia seem outgoing. They arent as bad as full grown adults, but definitely not what one would consider a display species....get a pokie if you want to see a cool spider...
pokies are also much much calmer and easy to deal with.