OW Flickers?

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was just looking at some different new world tarantulas that lack urticating hairs which got me wondering if there are any old world tarantulas that have them.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I can't tell from your post if you are just giving me the rule or if you know for a fact that there isn't an exception to this rule as there is with the fact that all nw tarantulas have urticating hairs because we all know this is false.

Last edited:

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Perhaps the OP is thinking of something like a blue fang?

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Perhaps the OP is thinking of something like a blue fang?
Which would not be OW and does have urticating setae on it's palps...not sure how this has anything to do with an OW that has urticating hair or a NW that lacks it.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was just looking at some different new world tarantulas that lack urticating hairs which got me wondering if there are any old world tarantulas that have them.
Based on all species of tarantula discovered so far, no.

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
Nope there isn't a single old world with irticating hairs some nee worlds have them on other places for instance the e.murinus

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not all new world tarantulas have urticating hairs. The Psalmopoeus genus does not have U-hairs... However, as stated, none of the old world tarantulas have U-hairs.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Which would not be OW and does have urticating setae on it's palps...not sure how this has anything to do with an OW that has urticating hair or a NW that lacks it.
My, you are polite. WHAT IS HAS TO DO is that the original poster MAY HAVE BEEN thinking of a tarantula like a blue fang that is a NW that doesn't have urticating hairs in the norma location as other NW tarantulas. So the OP may have been confused. Chill. DOES THAT MAKE BETTER SENSE FOR YOU? Some people......Good Lord.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My, you are polite. WHAT IS HAS TO DO is that the original poster MAY HAVE BEEN thinking of a tarantula like a blue fang that is a NW that doesn't have urticating hairs in the norma location as other NW tarantulas. So the OP may have been confused. Chill. DOES THAT MAKE BETTER SENSE FOR YOU? Some people......Good Lord.
Given the vagueness of your first post in this thread, I don't know how you expect anyone to understand what you were trying to convey above.

Some people......Good Lord.
You got that right. :rolleyes:

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
This really is a good question and is one of someone who thinks outside of the box. As it is known, urticating bristles are only present in New World subfamilies but subfamilies lacking urticating bristles occur in both the new and old worlds. Now this is where I go off the deep end with logic admittedly based on a lack of knowledge of evolutionary relationships of all Theraphosid taxa as a whole so feel free to add to or correct anything.

If Old World subfamily(ies) appear in the New World, but not the other way around, that must mean the New World subfamilies evolved from those in the Old World AFTER the continental drift that separated North and South America from Asia and Africa. I don't recall reading anything that discussed the evolutionary development of the urticating bristle or even the resulting behavior of discharging the urticating bristles; it seems like they just appeared, but just because I haven't read anything on it doesn't mean it doesn't exist somewhere.

So then, are there Theraphosid taxa with setae structures that have "primitive" barbs or the development of the stalks the urticating bristles are attached to on the dorsum of the opithosoma? If so, are there also Theraphosid taxa that show the same evolutionary steps on the palps (as in Ephebopus) or any other anterior appendage? The same questions would apply however even if there are taxa in the Old World that have urticating bristles.

On a personal note though, it would make my year to find out the the subfamily Theraphosinae occurs in Africa or Asia!

- Lonnie

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This thread has become way too deep...lol.

I was just looking at some different new world tarantulas that lack urticating hairs...
The above portion of my quote establishes that I'm fully aware that there are new world species that lack urticating hairs.

...which got me wondering if there are any old world tarantulas that have them.
This portion of the quote should imply that I'm aware of the rule that old world tarantulas don't have urticating hairs, but that I'm looking for an exception to that rule.

I would like to thank the people who have enough critical thinking skills to get what I was asking. For those that didn't get it, its cool, thanks for trying.