Overheating

Nodroj

Arachnopeon
I've recently installed a red bulb to provide a nocturnal friendly environment as well as additional heat. Now my scorpion is more active than ever before which I've taken as a good temperature indication. However, what are some signs of a overheated scorpion for curiosity sake?

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've recently installed a red bulb to provide a nocturnal friendly environment as well as additional heat. Now my scorpion is more active than ever before which I've taken as a good temperature indication. However, what are some signs of a overheated scorpion for curiosity sake?
ive noticed emperors get real high up on their legs and stick their butts in the air.

also depends on the specie. I keep my andros directly under the bulb, followed by hottentotta, my LP, then my gracilis and jacksoni, then my tarantula slings.

llamastick

Arachnoknight
If you have sufficient substrate (and aren't making the terrible mistake of heating it from below) it'll just burrow deeper to cool itself off.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you have sufficient substrate (and aren't making the terrible mistake of heating it from below) it'll just burrow deeper to cool itself off.
Exactly, their natural response to high surface heat is to dig into the substrate.......they also do this when you use a heatmat under the whole tank, practically cooking themselves...Never use a heatmat under the whole enclosure, and I even advise them not to use them under a tank at all. It also dries out substrate very quick. Learned all this the hard way....