Overabundance of H.incei Males. What Now?

What should I do with the males?

• Keep them in the Bachelor Pad.

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Freeze off the old dying ones.

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Eat them with Teriyaki Sauce.

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • Other (Please Suggest).

Votes: 12 25.5%

• Total voters

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So my communal colony of Holothele incei has reached an all time high in population of mature males. The old males had just started to die off from age and I thought my immature females would stop being harassed as well as the prey items finding their way to my already established female inhabitants and their offspring.

Sadly to say this is not the case. I have had an explosion of mature males. So far I have removed 10 and have witnessed at least another 5. Most likely there are 20+ removed/unremoved males in total. There are also probably many others that are close to molting out into mature males as well.

Now I'm asking you what is the best mode of action here.

I have a temporary Bachelor Pad set up for the separated ones, but do not want them sitting around waiting to die.

Shipping season is nearly over here and I'm sure I won't have enough takers for all the males.

The empathetic part of me wants to give them room and board till they pass on to the great web in the sky, while the logistical number cruncher that controls most of my daily actions sees them as a drain on space and resources. Adversely, if I leave them in the communal tank they will continue consuming food meant primarily for females as well as try to mate with, and possibly harm, the immature females.

What should I do with all these males?

MOBugGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
With that many males I would talk to paul becker or ken the bug guy or swifts. I think they would be willing to take that amount of males if you give a good price or trade.

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It may seem heartless to freeze them, but it's also, to me, the rational option. I know the time and energy I expend on my smallish collection, can't imagine what yours takes. And I highly doubt any dealer is going to want that many MMs of the same species, all at once.

Hanes

Arachnosquire
Try to sell, give away, trade or keep as many as you can but if there isn't enough space left for the rest they may have to be assigned to the freezer

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
With that many males I would talk to paul becker or ken the bug guy or swifts. I think they would be willing to take that amount of males if you give a good price or trade.

I live in Canada. The transfer of tarantulas across the border is not worth the hassle and funds for that many males. Plus the breeders in Canada already have H.incei communal tanks (Tarcan started the original Holothele incei communal tank thread years ago).

So I've caught 15. There are 3 more confirmed that are smart enough to hide in usurped webs. :wall:

MOBugGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I live in Canada. The transfer of tarantulas across the border is not worth the hassle and funds for that many males. Plus the breeders in Canada already have H.incei communal tanks (Tarcan started the original Holothele incei communal tank thread years ago).

So I've caught 15. There are 3 more confirmed that are smart enough to hide in usurped webs. :wall:
That sucks you cant send across borders I got a 3" female in premolt and I know another person that needs one.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I've caught 23 now. The bachelor pad is getting a little too full...

kylestl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I say let them live their lifes out even if they are a little packed. It is all up to you though.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's a pic of the container I put them all in before setting up the pad. All 23 of them.

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Send some my way :).....
Let's resin cast a few and give it away as gifts ore prizes for acon north 2011???.....
And i would like one for my female!!!!

Peace!!!

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's a pretty good idea. I mean, you can send amber or resin over the borders, right? It's not live.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What frightens me is that when I just checked the votes the teriaki one had the most votes:? lol

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Females on Weight-Watchers ?

Do they Not ever eat extra "harrassing" males :?

I guess bundling them in a Trade to, say......3 -or- 4 different Canadian Hobbyists w/ them, should get ya somethin' in return......"Loan" a few out also - What'cha got 2 lose :cool:

RowennaMyst

Arachnopeon
I have a mature female. Although you said it's difficult to send them across the border, if there was anyway I'd work with you to have one sent to me.

darkart82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i think you should let nature run its course, i wouldnt want to be put in a fridge , i think cast resin them or whatever the one guy said isnt that kinda wrong ? i would let them exspire and return to the earth so life can continue its endless cycle, i think keeping an animal for a trophy is wrong , why kill something if you not going to consume it ? they are just "bugs" to some people , but hech their gonna pass in a few months anyways. why not not let them be cause like you said "shipping season is almost over know" by time its over they will most likely passed on by then anyhow? right?
i dont know , i just wanted to share my thoughts , not trying to be rude, its an opinion , just mine!

robd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good lord how did I miss this???? It's been awhile but needless to say PM sent, ol buddy.

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i think cast resin them or whatever the one guy said isnt that kinda wrong ?
Was there anything wrong with what i suggested???
Do you have any better suggestions?
The op asked what he can do? i offered my suggestion....
At least they would be preserved for others to enjoy!!!

Last edited: