Over sea's shiping of roaches

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi,
I have found a guy who said he can ship me lots of roaches from the UK. I would be interested in ordering 500 or dubia, orange heads, hissers, discoids. And it would be a very good deal. Anyway he said he has all the cites permits and such and because of that i dont need any. But i wanted to check with you guys to know what i should do. Should i see scans of them? And is it true that i would not need any? If i do this i want to make sure its all legal. Any other info on shipping from over sea's would be great,
~Samuel

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mr. Deranged said:
Regarding International Sales

As we are an international community here on Arachnoboards, we felt we should make this announcement.

It is the responsibility of the buyer and seller to know the laws of their respective countries regarding the import/export of the goods they are dealing in. (In most cases on this site, arachnids or other "arachnopets".)

For those members residing in the United States, it is ILLEGAL to import or export without the appropriate permits. If the person you are dealing with has the appropriate permits for their country, that has NO bearing on the fact that YOU must ALSO have the appropriate permits in the U.S.

"Brown Boxing"* is not only illegal, it's stupid. If you're caught, the least of your worries will be the impounding of the "Brown Box" and the worst could be some hefty fines as well as jail time.

It's just not worth it.

Scott

From the stickies on the FS/FT forum

Duzzie

Arachnopeon
From what i've seen, roaches are much more available in the US than the UK. When I was looking for my Blaptica Dubia, I only found a few selling them. There seems to be loads on that side of the pond. I can't imagine buying them in the UK and shipping to the states would be cheaper than buying them there.

I would be interested to get the contact of this guy in the UK off you so i can get some fresh blood.

Duzzie

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ahh that is what i thought chesh, thanks. I think the guy might be a scammer but who knows. I'll try to find out more and if he is a good UK supplier I'll let ya all know.
~Samuel

Mat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you are looking for info in UK suppliers it might be worth posting on the forums at http://bugnation.co.uk.

As for your prospective roach supplier, he more likely to be ignorant of the real requirements rather than a scammer. There are some UK invert keepers who don't realise exactly how difficult it is to import live stuff into the USA leagally.

Matt

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok well here is what i heard from him:
Hey there,

I will be shipping them from the Republic of Cameroon,so i will paste your mailing address on the packaged then you will present your self and collect it.
Thanks and waiting for your response, get back as soon as possible.
Regards.
Mark.
And before that one:

Hey,
I have the CITES Permit and when i will use my cites to ship you will not need any .It will be very Legal when i will use my cites to ship to you ,the only thing you will have to do is that when you will give me your full mailing address then i will paste it on your pakaged, then you present your self and take it.So get back to as soon as possible.
Best Regards.
Mark.
So what do y'all think?
~Samuel

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sounds fishy to me. Why are Cities permits needed if the animal in question is not on the cities endangered species list?

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are you legally able to import them? I think you might need a permit...

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hissers and dubias from cameroon :p

interesting XD

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
After trying to help a friend get info on moving stuff into the states I think I'm getting a hand on this. ;)
Read this, then decide if you want to go ahead. I won't say "Don't" , but just be aware.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=72801

Edit: took out this comment as I just fully read Cheshires quote.

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi,
I'm not going to "risk it" if i'm sure i can do it completely legal then I'd go for it but i dont think thats posibul with out spending $1000+ and i was only going to order $300 of roaches... So thats out!

Last edited:

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well i just heard back from the fellow again. He first said he could ship them unmarked via DHL, Now here is what he said after i told him i'm not going to risk "brown boxing" with DHL (smuggling) and getting in jail.

What i think we can do now is that i will use my CITES permit ,that is i will go to the ministry of live stock fishery and animal husbandry in Cameroon,then they will use my cites number then they make you a buyer's permit which will enable you take them in the states.So check on it and get back to me with your full mailing address.
Regards.
I would be ordering $200 worth of roaches and the shipping would be $80 or so he said. Sounds very fishy to me. (To be precise, it sounds like me, very fishy)(sorry could not help that. if you ever read tin-tin you know what that means...:) )
~Samuel

Mat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
STOP NOW !!!!!!!!

Once you see the mention of the Cameroons this should make you go 'woah - no way'. This is a classic scam set up - you order from somone supposedly in the UK or the US but the animals are always shipped from a third country like the Cameroons.

Let me guess - your contact will ask you to pay his shipping agent in the Cameroons directly, most likely by Western Union. If you send some money uprfront you will never see it again and it is likely your contact will get back to you and say there are some problems and they need some more cash for 'shipping charges'.

I am 100% certain that if you send any money to either this guy or his Cameroon supplier you will be ripped off. I strongly suggest you go to the forums at Insectnet.com and have a look at the Trading Reports forum. If you do nothing else, just read this thread: http://www.insectnet.com/dcforum/DCForumID17/431.html

Matt

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well i wasn't planning on ordering from him once i found out that i needed $2000 usa permits, just seeing what he would come up with (ie. he then decided he could ship via DHL in a brown box...) wonder if i could work out a sting{D He had said i could pay with paypal though...
I still think its a scam,
~Samuel

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Illegal Activity:

DO NOT EMAIL OR BUY FROM THIS GUY- STOP IMMEDIATELY

I have imported and exported reptiles and fish around the world many times over the past 20 years. This guy is not legit or he would know how paperwork is in the US. All legit exporters know that the USA has very strict guidelines and know what you need to make an import happen and know ALL the forms required. Scammers know what key words or phrases to say in order to take advantage of the average naive but ambitious U.S. citizen who has passions for thier hobby. Know that if you do not have the appropriate import permits for EACH country you want to import from (in this example you need two), then you too are subject to fines ranging from $2000 to $5000 each.

Just my nickles worth of info. Any encouragement these fakes overseas get only increases the number of them that vie for US money, which is usually traded 100:1 in African countries. It REALLY irritates me that there are so many scammers overseas....Always ask the exporter exactly what paperwork they are working with, what port of entry they are shipping to in the US, and how have they arranged to get it to you from there. They should know this. You should, too, for that matter, before you try to make any overseas deals you should find out exactly what is required as the government does not accept "I didnt know" as a plausible way out of fines.

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
DO NOT EMAIL OR BUY FROM THIS GUY- STOP IMMEDIATELY

I have imported and exported reptiles and fish around the world many times over the past 20 years. This guy is not legit or he would know how paperwork is in the US. All legit exporters know that the USA has very strict guidelines and know what you need to make an import happen and know ALL the forms required. Scammers know what key words or phrases to say in order to take advantage of the average naive but ambitious U.S. citizen who has passions for thier hobby. Know that if you do not have the appropriate import permits for EACH country you want to import from (in this example you need two), then you too are subject to fines ranging from $2000 to $5000 each.

Just my nickles worth of info. Any encouragement these fakes overseas get only increases the number of them that vie for US money, which is usually traded 100:1 in African countries. It REALLY irritates me that there are so many scammers overseas....Always ask the exporter exactly what paperwork they are working with, what port of entry they are shipping to in the US, and how have they arranged to get it to you from there. They should know this. You should, too, for that matter, before you try to make any overseas deals you should find out exactly what is required as the government does not accept "I didnt know" as a plausible way out of fines.

Ok thanks for the info. I did not know he was out of the US at first when he contacted me. So i asked for his prices and all and only recently did he tell me that he was from where ever and could import them for $80. At that point i came here and told him i could not buy from him. He kept emailing back suggesting more offers and that also was a red flag, i know if i'm selling something and the buyer says he cant buy anymore i dont keep bugging him i say thanks anyway.
~Samuel

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I agree, this is screaming 'SCAM'. Especially how much he refers to 'CITIES' permits... Trying to use words that sound 'professional' or 'important'.

-Sean

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree, this is screaming 'SCAM'. Especially how much he refers to 'CITIES' permits... Trying to use words that sound 'professional' or 'important'.

-Sean
Just what i thought, is using something that most people know wash out any suspicion.
Thanks guys for the help,
~Samuel