Outrageous Rose Hair Prices

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have seen several threads now where it was mentioned that rose hairs were priced rather high. My local Petco has them for a mere $12.99, not a bad price when you consider that shipping is already covered.

So, what prices have you seen for rose hairs? I believe Kellygirl mentioned one at $35, which seems outrageous by comparison. What is the record out there? Has anyone seen a higher price for a correctly labeled G. rosea?

Bryan

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

$35 is not bad for a petshop if they are CB, which they most likely arent. Rosehairs are offered so cheap because they are super-easy and abundant to import. Generally offered to people who want a starting tarantula and wont spend alot of money on a "bug". Once CITES talk on the rosehairs becomes reality, and captive breeding programs are the only viable source of them, we will either see them become valued higher and little gems, or that higher value will lessen the demand on them and they will be left to fight for survival in their own habitat.

-V

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Re: ><

Originally posted by Vayu Son
$35 is not bad for a petshop if they are CB, which they most likely arent. Rosehairs are offered so cheap because they are super-easy and abundant to import.
Exactly. I think most of those, even the $35 are WC. I know there has been a bit oif a discussion about Petco selling CB rosies, but how could they sell 3-4" rosies that had been captive bred? They would have to be losing money.

It does concern me that so many are imported. If importations were to end, I would probably buy a sling, as my patience is greater than my pocketbook :D

Bryan

Al Muoio

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I bought mine 3 1/2 inches for 12.99. I believe she was wc because she is sitting on an egg sac now. Not a bad deal for $12.99

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I think the highest I've ever seen a rose hair was $29.99 at a pet shop in the D.C. area. I guess if there are people out there that buy it at that price, more power to the pet shop.

I wonder what will happen to rose hairs if they ever do ban their importation? Personally, I don't like them because they're what pet stores turned to for their staple when they banned the importation of B. smithi (how the heck do you decide that a brown, lightly striped, occasionally with a semi metallic carapace, spider is a trade for a smithi?), but that's not exactly the most rational of reasons ;) Will people chalk up the higher prices? Or will the mass pet trade find another easy to import species and abandon the G. rosea?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's thought by some that G. rosea may be somewhat "nomadic" in thier habits in the wild. The may be more likley to be encountered out in the open or under easily-moved cover, both males and females. Since they needn't be extracted from burrows, this may explain why they're collected in such numbers. I don't think anyone's actually studied this, however.

I've seen them at reptile shows for as cheap as $3 apiece, although $5 is closer to the average. They take years to reach maturity, mabe even longer than B. smithi. I doubt any pet store sells captive bred, unless it's spiderlings. As someone who occasionally breeds G. rosea, I can say it's depressing to try to sell them, since most people go for the cheap wild caughts.

Wade

r_cafin

Arachnopeon
i have just bought a G.Rosea from a pet store and i paid 14.99 which was rather high to me when i should have went the extra few miles to the other store and bought one for 9.99..but mine is fine its starting to molt so its worth the price...Ryan