Our first T! Hopefully not last ;) (sorry for length!)

mconnachan

Arachnoprince

P.s. we're very slow, careful, and don't handle long. Mostly just new excitement anyway. Not sure that's a reason to dislike a whole post from a new member, not super welcoming, but I hear ya!
Even so, handling is for your pleasure, the spider gets nothing out of it (lots of stress and agitation), please don't handle it, it really is in the best interest of the spider.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
;)
OK replaced wood and and got more fake plants. Went to several stores and got our favorites and came back to mix and match. Didn't end up using the cork but, we do have it available if we're feeling the urge to swap out.

Here is what we came up with. Hope it's not too crowded, or doesn't encourage enough up high living. (her last cage her burrow was on growd), and also hope it doesn't encourage webbing on the front door. I'll monitor. We were able to keep from destroying her hammock. For better or worse.. Dried out substrate btw then tamped it down when in.

Long day! :)

View attachment 242064 View attachment 242061
View attachment 242065 View attachment 242060
View attachment 242062
The enclosure looks fantastic.....hope you plan to house all your T's like that, as long as you've plenty of time it shouldn't be a problem, but very nice indeed.;)

keks

Arachnobaron
It's best to ignore common names. There's multiple and no set one for each species.
Your spider was called Avicularia versicolor. A versicolor or Avic versicolor for short. It has since been reclassified as Carbeina versicolor.
Nothing against you, I just really don't agree with handling. Especially when the genus has a tendency to jump.
I don't not want to be the smartass ... but ... you mistyped (?). It is Caribena versicolor. I want to correct, because this is the thread of a beginner. Sorry :);) .

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I don't not want to be the smartass ... but ... you mistyped (?). It is Caribena versicolor. I want to correct, because this is the thread of a beginner. Sorry :);) .
Yup. On my phone, thanks.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

P.s. we're very slow, careful, and don't handle long. Mostly just new excitement anyway. Not sure that's a reason to dislike a whole post from a new member, not super welcoming, but I hear ya!
Welcoming a new member is less important than preventing a Theraphosidae from falling to its death. She already bit you. If that is not enough of a sign she doesn't like being handled, I don't know what is.
On everything else you're doing brilliantly, the enclosure looks awesome and you come across as a caring person, which leaves me baffled as to why you handle her.
I understand the fascination to have a wild and exotic animal walk on your hands, I've been there. But after two times of handling I gave priority to the spider's safety above my need for satisfying that fascination ;)

Phases

Arachnoknight
And my cat has scratched me. They have moods, it'll be ok. I've not held her since this post started (but have since the "bite" that I'm not sure I'd call that really, no lasting mark beyond few hours) but if I do it be ok. It'll be on her terms or for some need that has arose. So far lately, she's not been in the mood. :)

I get it, some of you are handlers and some are against it.

I'm with ya. I care about my spider. I may handle again and if so it will be with care and she will be just fine. :) (as "just fine" as my teen will be driving to work, which I also have to trust)

All that said. Yesterday we got a salmon pink juvi who is currently about her size, and after seeing what it did to the three or 4 crickets we gave it holy wack alive were afraid to even try that one! Esp since they are less durable (for lack of better word) than bessie. Still need to name. That'll be a diff thread.. coming soon!

Oh. Update on Bessie. So far we've only seen her leave her hammock once. Chilled on the cross wood a while. Do you think she recognized it? It's the only piece that's from her old enclosure.

20170603_125557.jpg

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
And my cat has scratched me. They have moods, it'll be ok. I've not held her since this post started (but have since the "bite" that I'm not sure I'd call that really, no lasting mark beyond few hours) but if I do it be ok. It'll be on her terms or for some need that has arose. So far lately, she's not been in the mood. :)
IMG_1975.JPG
We were ALWAYS very careful. Slow and easy, "on her terms" as literally every handler puts it. She was never moody, she always appeared to "want" to come out. Curious and inquisitive. She was so gentle and slow.......

...... which was why it was so unbelievably heartbreaking to see her, after the incident, huddled in a corner with her legs trembling in a way I've never seen a T do before. Never expected it. We were always careful. People tell you they can die this way. But no one ever tells you that they don't die right away. It can take up to 24 hours for them to slowly bleed and suffer to death.

Many people on here have been keeping Ts for decades. When they show you strong opinions against handling, just be aware that it's likely to be a deeply-rooted opinion from a real experience they've had. We pretty much view it on the same level as dangling a kid out the window. The kid might be laughing and loving it, but it doesn't make it less dangerous.

It sounds like you've made up your mind, though.

Phases

Arachnoknight
My mind is never made up. ;)

Seriously, my whole point is to kinda be less "thumbs down" and more informative, like these last couple posts. That's really my main point. We may never hold her again, I agree with what all is said here and, she was knew and going into new enclosure anyway so we used that opportunity to get our 'one' (or whatever) handling in. The others were because I was (apparently mistakenly) afraid she'd relate handling to ripping apart her new home, so we were trying to avoid that.

I've not held her since, have spent more time 'debating' on here. heh. We may never hold her again, who knows.

But hey, 20 years ago I had a couple Ts, and was told then that the most humane way to kill them is a freezer. Which, I needed to do because one got into the others enclosure and killed it over night. I tried to seperate them with a divider and put two in one tank. Again, that was 20 years ago, I was a teen, go easy ;). But, my point is, wouldn't you do that, at that point?

Just an update. She's working on her hammock. Do they all make tunnels? She had one in her last enclosure. It LOOKS like the back of this is going to become one, she's sorta rounded out a hole about half dollar size in back corner to go down, but instead continues to work on the main portion.

Middle picture is when I tossed a cricket in for her. She took that junk down fast!
20170605_184827.jpg 20170605_193155.jpg 20170606_214804.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Just an update. She's working on her hammock. Do they all make tunnels? She had one in her last enclosure. It LOOKS like the back of this is going to become one, she's sorta rounded out a hole about half dollar size in back corner to go down, but instead continues to work on the main portion.

Middle picture is when I tossed a cricket in for her. She took that junk down fast!
View attachment 242575 View attachment 242576 View attachment 242577
Yes C. Versicolour are renowned for tube webbing, it looks amazing, yours is looking great as well, the T and the webbing.

It is Caribena versicolor
Don't want to be a smart ass but it should read Caribena versicolour. The sp. should be in italics. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Phases

Arachnoknight
Alright just walked in.. she's slowly doing her thing..

20170607_144619.jpg

...and here is where I wonder a tube (or entrance) may go. Back right..

20170607_144632.jpg

We will see! :D

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Alright just walked in.. she's slowly doing her thing..

View attachment 242634

...and here is where I wonder a tube (or entrance) may go. Back right..

View attachment 242635

We will see! :D
Your C. versicolour is looking stunning, wait till she's got her full colours, outstanding colouration when their a little older. @basin79 posted a video of his and all I could say was WOW, his reaction to her was "Bloody "ell"

Phases

Arachnoknight
That video was awesome I saw it too! Beautiful. I went in just now and she was resting with several legs curled in and a fang hanging out. I nearly had a heart attack. I tapped her leg jolted a little and she uncurled the legs. Got pics of the fang though. Funny but, I sure hope it's normal!

She eventually retracted the fang btw.

20170607_185949.jpg 20170607_185958.jpg

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
@mconnachan made me really unsure, I went searching for the right name now :zipit:! Guys, it is too early in the morning for jokes like this :bored: :zombie::rofl:.
Sorry @keks it was about 8pm here, it was a joke to your comment regarding C. versicolour. You said "Don't want to be a smart ass but". Yeah you get it now buddy.

MrP

Arachnopeon
What is the ideal size of containers to a Ceribena Versicolor from sling to Adult?

RonnyT

Arachnosquire
What is the ideal size of containers to a Ceribena Versicolor from sling to Adult?
Next time make a new thread. The ideal sizes:

Sling = 32 oz deli container

Juvenile = 1 gallon container

Adult = Look at the enclosure for this C. versicolor