Our first molt.

Cocoa-Jin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My first T(G. Rosea), my first molt...everything seems ok. Just did it this evening I guess. I checked on her before going to bed and she was out of the old and upside down in her new. I guess she'll stay like that for awhile, I'll check on her in the morning before work.

She hasnt eaten in about 4-5 months, her abdomen darkened about a month or so go...maybe 3wks ago(I have no concept of time). Anyway, in the morning I'll change her water and think about feeding her in 2wks.

My wife told me she was trying ti flip over earlier, but then said she was kidding. She also said she looked deflated{D I think perhaps she molted this afternoon and my wife didnt notice the furry dark ball next to it which was the newly molted T. I guess the remains of a molt would look like a deflated T.:eek:

Anyway, I'll update when(i assume when) she flips over and begins to act normal. I can be patient, Ive been on the look out for a molt for months now, a good nights sleep wont kill me...or the T. :embarrassed:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Congrats on the first molt! I have been keeping T's a long time and I still love to catch molts, it never gets old!
Get some pics when you can!

Cocoa-Jin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No pic abilities yet, but she is certainly "leggy". Her abdomen and carapce looks a bit smaller than Im used to in porportion to her legs. Im sure after she feeds and perhaps hydrates more she'll get her poportions back.

Anyway, she is back on her feet. A bit uncoordinated when she shuffled away from me as i gathered up her old "footy pajamas". Im sure all that will straigten out in a few days or so.

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Do you know for sure she's female? If she's full size then she could be a he, males tend to be more leggy than females.

Last edited:

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was wondering the same thing, smof. Check out the front two legs and see if there are any tibial hooks, and check out the pedipalps as well. If they seem "bulbous", your "she" may have just molted into a studly "he". Not certain, but it's worthwhile to double-check.

Cocoa-Jin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
She is pretty big so Ive been able to reasonable sex her a female from her vent/furrow. Its pretty well developed and distiguishable...but I plan to re-check after she gets up and going again like normal.

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Shoulda kept the molt itself! That's the most reliable way to sex a tarantula! If it's in the trash, dig it out, stick it in a bag with some warm, moist paper towels (an ICU for a molt LOL), stretch it out a little and look for spermethecae!!! :D

Cocoa-Jin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
She is definitly a female. She had a big trapzoidal window on here molt between the first pair of book lungs. It was as big or bigger than the book lungs.

I think the leggy look is due to the fact that her abdomen is the same size or smaller than it was pre-molt, while everything else has grown. I'd say she is about 10-15% bigger...maybe 20% bigger if I want to make myslef feel better {D

She is still very quiet and in-active.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She is still very quiet and in-active.
She'll be that way for a while. All the stuff they do to get comfortable in the new duds is pretty amusing. In the next week or two you'll see her busting all kinds of weird poses. Stretching her legs this way and that... Currently she's still super fragile. For about 5 days she'll still be extremely delicate and easily stressed.