OUCH...from a millipede ???

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Handling an AGB with a cut on my hand....lovely yellow secretion drips from the 'pede onto the cut on my finger while trying to gently unroll to see for sure if a boy or girl. Burns like the dickens for a little bit. (Tried to wash off immediately). Did not even realize my finger was cut until then....:embarrassed: :8o

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Isn't the secretion made my millipedes similar in chemical structure to Cyanide?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Isn't the secretion made my millipedes similar in chemical structure to Cyanide?
there is all kinds of different stuff they use, depending on species and maybe even what they eat and have raw materials for, like

some tropical species are fairly diabolical mixtures that use stuff that can give mammals pretty hideous chemical burns or blind them if they get sprayed in the eyes.

oh yeah, some mills can *spray* their "secretions" for like a yd/m!

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I knew the secretions were foul tasting (not by personal experience!) but I had never got any in an open wound before. Just goes to show that even though these little guys are "harmless", Mother Nature still provided them more than adaquate ways to defend themselves!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I knew the secretions were foul tasting (not by personal experience!) but I had never got any in an open wound before. Just goes to show that even though these little guys are "harmless", Mother Nature still provided them more than adaquate ways to defend themselves!
the local "giants" (3-4") have a very sour taste to their secretions. i took that mean there was probably some kind of acid in there.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I saw a great show about animals and hallucinogens. It showed monkeys getting high from african millis. They would bite them and rub the millis on their fur. It was pretty funny. I don't think it would work on humans though :)