OUCH 8'(..I think she'll be ok... Opinions..

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sooo I rehoused my E. Murinus today and came to discover a scab on the underside of her abdomen and looks kinda fresh.. I'm thinking she took a fall and busted open her abdomen at some point or rubbed it raw and is now healing?? what also bothers me is that one of her feet has lost part of its pad as seen in the first pic sticking out in the top right... I'm pretty sure it will be a quick fix with a molt though.. doesnt seem like it could be mites or anything even though she is wild caught. She molted out with no problems a while ago and have not seem any funky things crawling around or abnormal. Plus this is the first time I have dealt with this kind of thing before..

Any experiences. Opinions. Worries

Thanks,
Kris

it's wet because I had to mist everything..

Last edited:

Enomegra

Arachnopeon
I am going to go out on a limb and say that is not a fall. A rupture or crack would be possible given sufficient height but that looks a lot more like either a burst abscess or the result of something chewing on her. Considering her toe looks like it has the same type of damage, I cant help but think that there is something in her tank that was attempting to eat her. Seems odd a T would allow that I know but nothing else I can think of would do that much damage to both areas of your T's body.

I would consider placing your T in an ICU set up as an open wound like that is just asking for a fatal infection. Leaving her in her enclosure could certainly lead to her demise. I cant be certain but that wound looks fatal to me. I hope I am wrong.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am going to go out on a limb and say that is not a fall. A rupture or crack would be possible given sufficient height but that looks a lot more like either a burst abscess or the result of something chewing on her. Considering her toe looks like it has the same type of damage, I cant help but think that there is something in her tank that was attempting to eat her. Seems odd a T would allow that I know but nothing else I can think of would do that much damage to both areas of your T's body.

I would consider placing your T in an ICU set up as an open wound like that is just asking for a fatal infection.
I think you are on the right track here. A cricket could certainly do some damage, especially if the spider was in the process of a molt. The OP hinted at mites - but mites do not chew holes like that. If the cage is too damp, mold or infection would also be a possibilty. In any case, I'd move the spider to a clean container - and not a damp one like an ICU. That wound does not look good, and may cause problems with the next molt. Best thing to do is feed lightly until the next molt and hope the spider has time to heal that wound between now and then.

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
I'll third the motion to relocate her to a DRY ICU - I don't forsee a good molt in her future though - if it's just some kind of skin rot though . . . . I don't know, maybe it won't be affected by the molt either way? Keep a close eye on her, and please update here - I'll be hoping for the best for her.

SK8TERBOI

Arachnopeon
I'd Put her In an ICU like others Say it looks like some sort of an skin Ulcer?

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's not bulging like an ulcer or anything. She acts normal.. Eats varaciously throws up threats when she isn't full of sunshine. I'm thinking the wound on her foot may have been cause by her getting her foot stuck in a mesh screen lid since she was in a tank walking around for a bit when I rehoused her

GForce14063

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was wondering what type of substrate are you using or any rough surfaced cage furniture that she possibly rubbed against.

SK8TERBOI

Arachnopeon
It's not bulging like an ulcer or anything. She acts normal.. Eats varaciously throws up threats when she isn't full of sunshine. I'm thinking the wound on her foot may have been cause by her getting her foot stuck in a mesh screen lid since she was in a tank walking around for a bit when I rehoused her
I had a H Mac with the same looking sore on the abdomen it later ruptured and she died but up until then she was her usual self so idk can you get a Clearer shot of the sore up close without bothering her too much

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some friends have said it was an old wound from before that had healed up and then molted again as it re-opened because it did not heal ALL the way.. That sounds better to me and makes more sense.. There is no lump nor looks like it will burst open or anything at all.. It just looks like a scab.

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
not looking good dry ICU and hope she makes it the only things i can think of are (s)he was attacked, burst-ed cyst or she rubed it away

as for the foot do you have air holes in the tank big enough for a foot to go thru ive heard of Ts rub right down to exo

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think she just got it stuck in the vent or something. I hope she makes it too.. I'd be weary to feed or an excessive amout of food..

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No I am drying out her tank which is basically ICU for a few weeks. She has a constant water supply and my lights in my T room are always off and unbothered at a comfortable temperature of 75ish. ICU would be the way to go if it was something life or death but she had molted about a month ago and I assume (not a word to take lightly with animals) she had it then. She isn't acting weird. I just fed her a little bit taking the crickets down with ease as usual and will monitor that so nothing else happens. I won't, however, let her get too big incase it does rupture from getting fat which I will take her out into the necessary container BEFORE anything gets bad or infested with god knows what.

Enomegra

Arachnopeon
Is there not substrate in her enclosure? That is an open wound and leaving her in a tank with substrate is like leaving the dressing off an open wound on a human. I am not trying to tell you what to do but it would seem an unnecessary risk just because she has had the wound for a while. Regardless of the length of time the wound has been there, it still has the capability of being life threatening.

I hope she recovers. Best of luck.

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Aww poor girl!

I don't know if it would help, but maybe you can try covering the wound with liquid band-aid? I know some people use it to treat ruptures on their tarantulas, as well as super glue. At least that would seal any bacteria out for a while.

I hope she gets better.

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Aww poor girl!

I don't know if it would help, but maybe you can try covering the wound with liquid band-aid? I know some people use it to treat ruptures on their tarantulas, as well as super glue. At least that would seal any bacteria out for a while.

I hope she gets better.
I don't think I would in this case - - mainly because of the size of the wound - wouldn't want all that "glue" to soak in and cause problems with the next molt. Also, it's a little close to the book lungs, and anything of that type that gets into the book lungs is almost always fatal.

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
especially chemically.

As an update.. She is still alive and kicking.. I tried checking on the wound but all I got was an angry pair of legs and didnt want to further stress her out.. Sooo all seems to be ok.. I havn't sprayed her tank at all.. She is in 100% peat moss. Dry now but not bone dry. There is a big water dish in there and am keeping a constant eye one her.. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Still kinda worried..But not so much.
Kris