OT - Wolf Spider

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Went outside to clean out the Guinea Pig cage and over by the outdoor faucet was a fantastic large Wolf Spider!
I immediately ran back in the house to get a collection jar and was able to snag it.
I'd say this one is every bit of 2.5 inches! and a real beauty. I decided to keep her for a while and set up a PetPal with some Peat, cork bark, and a small water cap.
I placed a small cricket in with her, although she hasn't shown much interest yet. I'm hoping after she settles in.
Does anyone know what kind she might be? I live in Southern Virginia (Newport News). She is a yellowish brown with 2 stripes down her abdomen. I'll try and get the digital camera this week from work and post a pic.
Any additional information on keeping Wolf spiders would also be appreciated.
I've named her "Thirteen" and want to provide a good habitat.
Thanks!
Ralph

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It could be a number of things, the rabid wolf spider fits the description, as well as some fishing spiders. Care wise, its pretty simmilar to terrestrial tarantulas, your set up sounds fine.

Check out the "Other Arachnids" forum, there's several threads about wolf spiders. They're fun and interesting to keep!

Wade

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
IME, Wolf Spiders ALWAYS eat, not matter what... the fact that yours is hesitant could be signalling an upcoming molt OR a load of 'lings... WATCH OUT if she drops kids. :)