Osmocote balls? Top soil substrate.

Cheo Samad

Arachnopeon
Has anyone ever encountered these little balls before? I just purchased some top soil and set up some enclosures when i noticed these little things in them. Someone told me it's called osmocote.

I'm guessing this means the substrate is useless and I need to replace it? Need to know pretty quickly. I bought the cheapest stuff I could and specifically asked for something with no addatives.

Attachments

clive 82

Arachnoknight
Has anyone ever encountered these little balls before? I just purchased some top soil and set up some enclosures when i noticed these little things in them. Someone told me it's called osmocote.

I'm guessing this means the substrate is useless and I need to replace it? Need to know pretty quickly. I bought the cheapest stuff I could and specifically asked for something with no addatives.
Yeah I used to work in horticulture. Osmocote is a slow release fertiliser which is mixed into composts in the horticultural industry. Don't use this as a substrate for your T, I cant imagine its gonna do you any favours.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I'd return it. You specifically asked for topsoil without ANY additives. This qualifies as additive imo.

I sometimes get frustrated here as well. You ask for just dirt. No fertilizers or other crap, just...dirt. But apparently that is too much to ask. I don't understand why it is so hard to get something without anything added. Nice orange juice, added sugar. Nice cheese, added colouring. Nice sandwich spread, added stuff. Nice topsoil, added crap. (Quite literally sometimes).
Sigh. Rant over. I feel so much better now. :D

Cheo Samad

Arachnopeon
Yeah I used to work in horticulture. Osmocote is a slow release fertiliser which is mixed into composts in the horticultural industry. Don't use this as a substrate for your T, I cant imagine its gonna do you any favours.
Gaaaaaah this is frustrating. Guess that's what I get for trying to save money. Thank you.

Cheo Samad

Arachnopeon
My only option is to run to the store for more substrate cause I need it by tomorrow and I'm about to go to work. All that they have that I know is clean is peat moss and I'm not too keen on using straight peat moss as substrate.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
My only option is to run to the store for more substrate cause I need it by tomorrow and I'm about to go to work. All that they have that I know is clean is peat moss and I'm not too keen on using straight peat moss as substrate.
Although I have never used it you could opt for top soil? I am tempted to try it myself. Just be sure to read the info on the bag to make sure it has no additives. Usually peat moss & top soil are additive free.

Cheo Samad

Arachnopeon
Ran to a local hardware store and they had a bag that said its straight organic top soil with no addatives. This stuff seems better. No little yellow balls and it seems a little more uniform. Also havent found any rocks.

Cheo Samad

Arachnopeon
GUYS I AM AN IDIOT!! BOTH BAGS OF TOP SOIL ARE FINE! I was mixing in peat moss and low and behold THAT is the culprit.