Orthoptera Keepers_

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Anybody here keep any Orthoptera? Recently got into them and they really are quite fun! 0A1AC4FD-23EF-441F-95C5-26C501E758E1.jpeg
(Ischnomela Pulchripennis Nymph enjoying a waxworm)

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It's really hard impossible to get the giant, easy to keep species in the US unless you're in a zoo or university, but I know several people that keep Romalea microptera. Brachystola magna is kept less commonly. I know of some labs that are keeping several species of Schistocerca, though I haven't gotten around to keeping them yet. Some people keep a few of the native phaneropterine katydids too, but not commonly. I wish this order was more commonly kept in the US, but that facet of the hobby hasn't quite taken off. Maybe someday! I'd love to get my hands on any species of Saga.

The wolf

Arachnolord
there’s a few UK species i’d look into keeping, theyre lifespan is a single year though so i would definitely want to try to breed them

i suspect this may not be very easy

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
but that facet of the hobby hasn't quite taken off
Agreed, even over here individuals can be quite difficult to obtain. Would be especially greato obtain a Saga sp.

I imagine there’s difficulty getting them into the US due to the right regulations on anything with pest potential?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Agreed, even over here individuals can be quite difficult to obtain. Would be especially greato obtain a Saga sp.

I imagine there’s difficulty getting them into the US due to the right regulations on anything with pest potential?
Yep, 100% on the (mostly correct) regulations to protect agriculture/forests. But a guy can dream, right?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
It's really hard impossible to get the giant, easy to keep species in the US unless you're in a zoo or university, but I know several people that keep Romalea microptera. Brachystola magna is kept less commonly. I know of some labs that are keeping several species of Schistocerca, though I haven't gotten around to keeping them yet. Some people keep a few of the native phaneropterine katydids too, but not commonly. I wish this order was more commonly kept in the US, but that facet of the hobby hasn't quite taken off. Maybe someday! I'd love to get my hands on any species of Saga.
Don't forget the very commonly kept Stenopelmatus and to a lesser degree Ceuthophilus! Unfortunately the former haven't been really been bred in captivity yet, but there are a ton of beautiful species out there all the same. The latter however can be bred in captivity quite easily it seems. I hope to acquire a Southern Californian Ceuthophilus sp. here soon.
There was that one species of New Zealand tree weta floating around here in the US for some time before they disappeared too. I also heard of Cosmoderus being sold at the Tinley Park expo, but nobody seems to have produced further generations.

But oh, so many amazing species out there. Vestria, Liromopetum, Copiphora, Pseudoproscopia, Ancylecha fenestrata...

Thanks,

Arthroverts