Orthoporus Ideal Substrate Depth

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
My Orthoporus ornatus have been steadily growing and that combined with the arrival of a few Paeromopus angusticeps (which I am very excited about) has lead me to consider a rehouse. I've been keeping 11 in a 32 qt 22x16x7 bin, prioritizing horizontal space over substrate depth, but am wondering what an ideal enclosure would be. They seem to like this setup, but I have seen multiple recommendations to provide them with at least 6" of substrate, something I am unable to do in the current enclosure. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
The length of the longest specimen is generally considered to be the standard for pretty much all round millipedes, and to my knowledge Orthoporus is no exception.

By the way, Paeromopus typically appreciate consistently colder temperatures (low to mid 60sF) than Orthoporus do, so you may want to keep them separately to increase the longevity/growth speed of both species.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Some people say that because they don’t burrow much, you only need 4 inches but I keep mine on slightly moist substrate that is 6.5 inches deep

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Mine doesn’t burrow or dig much but I want to make it as natural as possible. I didn’t know he was wild caught when I bought him but the least I can do is make it natural as possible

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
The length of the longest specimen is generally considered to be the standard for pretty much all round millipedes, and to my knowledge Orthoporus is no exception.

By the way, Paeromopus typically appreciate consistently colder temperatures (low to mid 60sF) than Orthoporus do, so you may want to keep them separately to increase the longevity/growth speed of both species.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Thanks for this! I was aware of the general rule, but have heard about and seen a lot of varied set ups for this species, so wanted to check what folks are doing. Think it is time for a rehouse though, 5" may be pushing it. Just have to find the right bin... And thank you for the additional info on Paeromopus, I'd love to see this species become more widespread in the hobby. Also I hear some truly massive millipedes are coming your way - congratulations!!! If I ever get through this permitting process I'll definitely be reaching out to you and The Mantis Menagerie ;)

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
You could also get a ten or twenty gallon. They are about 12 inches tall so six inches of substrate shouldn’t be a problem. Also, if you want a giant, you give it way it needs to grow. Just give it the substrate it needs. You can also go the custom route and make a tank that’s 30x12x24. Then it would be about a 40 gallon that’s a tall twenty gallon

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Thanks for this! I was aware of the general rule, but have heard about and seen a lot of varied set ups for this species, so wanted to check what folks are doing. Think it is time for a rehouse though, 5" may be pushing it. Just have to find the right bin... And thank you for the additional info on Paeromopus, I'd love to see this species become more widespread in the hobby. Also I hear some truly massive millipedes are coming your way - congratulations!!! If I ever get through this permitting process I'll definitely be reaching out to you and The Mantis Menagerie ;)
Ay. As you become more experienced you'll figure out what you like best in terms of substrate depth; until then, the rule of thumb is usually good for most round millipedes.

While I too would love to see Paeromopus become more common, I don't have high hopes (at least not for now), as quite a few people have attempted to breed them with various methods and all have generally failed. Still something we're missing in captivity (and a lot of people make the mistake of keeping them too warm right out the gate).

Word travels fast! Thank you, hopefully I can be successful with them.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
There, and people have seen your Instagram post and have been spreading the word through WhatsApp.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
Honestly, Thyropygus pachyurus is probably my favorite species. Have been able to work with it through volunteering, but it would be incredible if it became more available to permitted people in the hobby. I wish you both the best of luck breeding them!

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
Honestly, Thyropygus pachyurus is probably my favorite species. Have been able to work with it through volunteering, but it would be incredible if it became more available to permitted people in the hobby. I wish you both the best of luck breeding them!
Provided no catastrophic collapse occurs, I already have a robust captive-bred population. As I understand it, though, sometimes the F1 adults of other tropical species do not breed. No idea if anyone has ever gotten to that point yet to test whether they can be bred multigenerationally, but I hope there are no issues like that for this species. Otherwise, the captive population will be dependent on continuous imports.
I am hoping to do one better in the regulatory sphere and obtain commercial biological supply permits to sell them to non-permitted individuals. I have seen Archispirostreptus gigas approved for this before, so it seems within the realm of plausibility.
There, and people have seen your Instagram post and have been spreading the word through WhatsApp.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
This is amazing. The first time something on my website got around faster than me mentioning it directly. It would seem my site has achieved the goal of being a viable method of sharing information with the larger hobby.

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
Provided no catastrophic collapse occurs, I already have a robust captive-bred population. As I understand it, though, sometimes the F1 adults of other tropical species do not breed. No idea if anyone has ever gotten to that point yet to test whether they can be bred multigenerationally, but I hope there are no issues like that for this species. Otherwise, the captive population will be dependent on continuous imports.
I am hoping to do one better in the regulatory sphere and obtain commercial biological supply permits to sell them to non-permitted individuals. I have seen Archispirostreptus gigas approved for this before, so it seems within the realm of plausibility.

This is amazing. The first time something on my website got around faster than me mentioning it directly. It would seem my site has achieved the goal of being a viable method of sharing information with the larger hobby.
CBS permits for this species would be INCREDIBLE. I wish you all the best of luck and as I mentioned before, may reach out depending on how permitting goes... The site is amazing by the way, I'm glad it's getting the attention it deserves!