Orthochirus sp.

littebigspider

Arachnopeon
Can anyone direct me to some information on these scorps.
-venmon rating
-communal
-etc

I did do a search on this site and the venmon list, seems to yeild some mixed reviews. Looking for more exact info.

Charlie_Scorp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Have to dash out..if no one has listed some info..I will when I get back in.

Charlie

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dont have any info that I have found.. but from speaking with peope they are communal and the venom is not that bad. (not like you should get stung tho) and they are supposedly very entertaining because of how they wag their tail to use its sensory organ and size up prey (or so i understand) I have heard mixed reviews.. some say they are great some say they are boring. they are apparently skittish as well.. and that is about all I know aside from the fact that I want some! lol any particular one you like? anyways I hope that helps and I am sure someone will have more info for you. or some corrections at least :D

littebigspider

Arachnopeon
No particular species I like better then the next. I have only seen pics of three species, and they all look very interesting.

Charlie_Scorp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Most of my advice is 2nd hand from a friend but Ive been wanting this genus since I got into the hobby not long ago and once the temp warm up, I'll be on my way. They're like beautiful little tanks!
Anyways, many people keep them communally with success but I understand that isolating gravid females in a small container in the dark (to mimic the burrow she would dig) is advisable and is certainly what I will do. Orthochirus scrobiculosus negebensis seems to be the most common in the hobby, along with O.innesi but I imagine many keep them without knowing the exact species.
Gil (wizentrop) has been stung by an adult O.s.negebensis and described it as incredibly painful although he didn't have any systemic symptoms.
He sent me a care sheet for O.s.negebensis which Im sure he would be happy for me to share if you PM me.

Charlie_Scorp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I remeber that the 1st time round. They pack a punch, thats for sure. That cricket expired pretty damn quickly.
Thanks for sharing. Great stuff.

Andre2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have dozens of Orthochirus s. negebensis and several gravid females of a
species from Pakistan. They are very atractive to keep in groups, and are
active too. The only downside for me is that the young (esp. O. s. negebensis) are very difficult to get in the 3rd instar. I hear this from other people in Europe too. Some lost 90% of the young or more, and so did I..
At first the young did great, but later in the second instar (when normally the
pre-molt stage should start) they started losing weight for some reason. I tried everything I could think of, regarding temperature, moisture, food, substrate, shelter.., but nothing seemed to work:(
The adults are very easy to keep and a lot of fun. Since last year these are
almost common at Dutch expo's. Most people are disappointed in the size I think and therefore ignore them. I think Orthochirus is great fun, but be careful to buy young!...