Orphnaecus Philippinus Sling Acting Arboreal?

wrath of the olives

Arachnopeon
I just picked up a Orphnaecus Philippinus sling (about 1") and set up a small enclosure for it to burrow in (including starter hole). However, so far it has not left the top rim/lid of the enclosure. I have heard of other burrower species' slings act arboreal when young, is that the case here? If so, should I set up a different enclosure for it?

Attachments

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have three, and all three burrowed as slings and juveniles (they are out a bit more as adults). I originally gave mine about 4" of dirt, and they eventually dug all the way down to the bottom. They will also web a bit on the surface. As you just got it, it might not have settled in yet.

Also, is the substrate dry? These guys like it moist. If it IS dry, try pouring some water down the side and into that starter burrow so that you moisten the lower levels of substrate a bit. That also might encourage it to burrow as it seeks out the more moist soil beneath.

wrath of the olives

Arachnopeon
Also, is the substrate dry? These guys like it moist. If it IS dry, try pouring some water down the side and into that starter burrow so that you moisten the lower levels of substrate a bit. That also might encourage it to burrow as it seeks out the more moist soil beneath.
I'll try that thanks! It's not super dry, but it isn't that damp either.

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'll try that thanks! It's not super dry, but it isn't that damp either.
Okay, I couldn't tell if it was dry or not! When I first got mine as slings, they both started their burrows in the holes I had used to pour some water in. If it's already moist, no worries. Good luck! I love this species (I have one as my avatar :) ).

Charlie69

Arachnosquire
Don't have that t. But one of my C lividum had a similar behaviour. I felt sorry for it and gave it some thing to hide under. To days later I had this

Attachments

wrath of the olives

Arachnopeon
Okay, I couldn't tell if it was dry or not! When I first got mine as slings, they both started their burrows in the holes I had used to pour some water in. If it's already moist, no worries. Good luck! I love this species (I have one as my avatar :) ).
Your suggest of making the burrow area a lot damper worked perfectly! I came home today from work to find the little guy webbed up the entrance to the starter hole and is now chilling in it's new home :)

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Your suggest of making the burrow area a lot damper worked perfectly! I came home today from work to find the little guy webbed up the entrance to the starter hole and is now chilling in it's new home :)
Awesome! I'm so glad to hear that he settled in! :)