Ornithoctonus sp Koh Samui questions

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Guys

I raised this question in another thread but haven't managed to get much information at all really. I tried searching but only found lots of for sale adds and other species info so I did try there first.
Other than being really rare, what are the characteristics of this Ornithoctonus species?
->Are they terrestrial or arboreal?
->Are they burrowing if terrestrial?
->Do they possess a venom in the region of a potency to pokies, H maculata or S calcateum?
->What kind of conditions do they need be kept in (temps, humids etc), as being from Koh Samui that's quite a variable climate to try match.

I'd appreciate any information anyone can share about these Ts because one has become available and I'm weighing up whether I'd be suited to keeping it.

Also, am I being daft, or is the Ornithoctonus genus different to the Ornithoctoninae genus? Or is it infact the same. I only ask because I can find lots of info on the Ornithoctoninae sp Borneo species, so I'm wondering whether I should be reflecting the info I find there?

Help always appreciated.

Bryn

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Hey Bryn,

I know Chris Allen (syndicate) keeps these so he might be able to answer your questions. I'd just like to address this:
Also, am I being daft, or is the Ornithoctonus genus different to the Ornithoctoninae genus? Or is it infact the same. I only ask because I can find lots of info on the Ornithoctoninae sp Borneo species, so I'm wondering whether I should be reflecting the info I find there?
Ornithoctonus is a genus, but Ornithoctoninae isn't, it's a subfamily (a higher taxonomic rank than genus), the genus Ornithoctonus is in the subfamily Ornithoctoninae (note that subfamilies have -inae ending). The most informative name for the mentioned Borneo spider would be Ornithoctoninae G. sp. "Borneo". Whenever you see a name that begins with a subfamily instead of a genus, it means that the spider belongs to the given subfamily (in this case: Ornithoctoninae), but it is not identified to genus (G.) and (obviously) species (sp.) level.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hello,
Ok heres the deal with this species.These are thought to be a dwarf form of Ornithoctonus aureotibialis.Ornithoctonus aureotibialis lives on main land Thailand while this species is found on the island of Koh samui.
These are a burrowing species and can he kept similar to Haplopelma in Tall tanks with enough substrate to dig a deep burrow.
Ornithoctonus belongs to the sub-family Ornithoctoninae ;]
Also the venom is probably similar in affects to other Ornithoctonid burrowing species but I have never heard of any studies conducted on its effects.I would use caution tho as I do with all Asiatic tarantulas.These spiders can have quite the attitude as well.
Heres some photos for you:
Mating

Adult female

2nd in-star spiderling

You can find more info/photos on them here
http://www.the-t-store.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=4886&hl=koh+samui
http://www.the-t-store.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=13083&st=0
Hope that helps!
-Chris