Ornamental baboon, aka Togo... Either way, overlooked.

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I find this to be one of the most incredibly beautiful tarantulas, and it just doesn't get enough attention.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That second shot is really nice :)

I can't speak for the rest of the world, but I know this was the species that got me to break my longstanding avoidance of Africans. The first time I saw a pic of one of these I was simply wowed. I don't think there's any T out there that looks quite like them.

SurfinJB

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah I just got one at a show its beautiful and only about 2 inches. Its hard to find much info on them. Do you guys know if this is a fast grower or not?

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I strongly agree!

They remind me of Chocolate chip ice cream or something..

They are beautiful... They have remarkable markings that are overlooked. The great thing about them also is that they are cheap.

Originally posted by invertepet
I find this to be one of the most incredibly beautiful tarantulas, and it just doesn't get enough attention.

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
definately in my top 3 favorite species. after i saw my first one i knew it would be my next t, and it was. just wish that eggsac would've hatched:( . all well i still got my female and shes fattening back up nicely:rolleyes: .

darby

Arachnopeon
Hi, this is my first post. I have been checking out the messageboard for the last week and have to say I have learned an amazing amount of information about T's. As a matter of fact, I just ordered an Ornamental and Usumbara from invertapet. I am hoping that they will arive tomorrow. If anyone can share their experiences with these, I have only had a rose hair in the past but kept it for a long time until it died of old age, I would sure appreciate it. I have read as much as I could find on this board and other sites and I am really looking forward to getting back into the T hobby!

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Originally posted by darby
Hi, this is my first post. I have been checking out the messageboard for the last week and have to say I have learned an amazing amount of information about T's. I am really looking forward to getting back into the T hobby!
Welcome to arachnopets. :) I think U'll enjoy it. I hope u enjoy yr new pets. Sorry to hear your rosie died theyre nice spiders. I got one. I think Ull find the care sheets to be helpful. Im hoping to get an ornimental too. :)

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I totally agree with you, Bill. I have one that is around 2.5" and they are really pretty.

Becky

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by darby
Hi, this is my first post. I have been checking out the messageboard for the last week and have to say I have learned an amazing amount of information about T's. As a matter of fact, I just ordered an Ornamental and Usumbara from invertapet. I am hoping that they will arive tomorrow. If anyone can share their experiences with these, I have only had a rose hair in the past but kept it for a long time until it died of old age, I would sure appreciate it. I have read as much as I could find on this board and other sites and I am really looking forward to getting back into the T hobby!
darby,
Welcome. You should post this in your own thread. Sometimes tag on's get overlooked and alot of people wont see it. :)

Ernie

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by invertepet

Bill, I agree 100%!

Wonderful pictures, BTW. Did you have trouble getting the beast in a photo-worthy position? Togos have the reputation of being rather reclusive, and that's certainly been my experience.

Joy

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Actually, she was fairly cooperative (and I was very slow with moving her).

They're pretty quick growing, as are most arboreals... ;)

bill

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
very nice...

Great pics Bill especially the 2nd one. I totally agree with you also they are a great looking species. Quite a handful once they start running but one of the best looking Ts around.

Phil

SurfinJB

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey Darby just wanted to tell ya to watch out for those usambaras if you have only had a rose before. I have 4 and the first expierence I had with them was while un-packing. I thought I was getting a 3/4in sling- started unfolding the paper towel and out rushed something not much bigger, maybe an inch, but had the attitude of satan himself. Thery're quick as hell and I mean quick and mine won't take any crap from anyone.Don't want to scare you just be respectful and prepared and you'll know soon enough what I'm talkin about. By the way, my usambaras and the H. maculata ( ornamental babbon) are probably my favorites- the usambaras always seem to be doing something- if they were all plotting against me I wouldn't be surprised--I'm sure they'll scare the love into you too....did I mention they're quick... :)

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by SurfinJB
Yeah I just got one at a show its beautiful and only about 2 inches. Its hard to find much info on them. Do you guys know if this is a fast grower or not?
This is the fastest growing species I have come across yet. I got mine in early September and it was a half inch spiderling. I named it baby because it was the smallest spider I had owned. It molted four times between then and early February and when it molted in February it was fully mature and a four inch male.

darby

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the warning SurfinJB, I will be very careful unpacking them. I am reading everything I can find on the Usumbaras and Ornamentals. This forum and the archieved threads is a wealth of information. Much better than any book I have seen. You can spend days searching the data base. I will let you all know how it goes if they arrive tomorrow.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by JacenBeers
I got mine in early September and it was a half inch spiderling. I named it baby because it was the smallest spider I had owned. It molted four times between then and early February and when it molted in February it was fully mature and a four inch male.
Were you keeping that beast at elevated temps or anything special? Mine was about 2" (WC) when I got it in late October and has only moulted once since then.

Just wondering if mine is slower because of conditions or if this might be good indication it's a girl (which would be sweet).