Ordered some new t's, just wanted to make sure I have the care about right for each

jenniferinny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've had T's for about 2 years now and hope I'm finally ready to move on to the more challenging species.

Here's what I ordered and the setup I have for each.

P. Pulcher, 1" spiderling. I know it needs humidity in the high range, about 78 to 82 and warm temperatures. I have the smallest size Kritter Keeper with about 2 inches of substrate of mixed peat moss, organic potting soil and some bed a beast. I know it's an arboreal, but, I thought the substrate would help hold more humidity. The only thing I don't like about that, is that you access the Kritter Keeper from the top, and P Pulchers are rather fast and nasty from what I've heard. I'm looking for any other suggestions that would work better. Most of what I saw that was more vertically oriented was way too big. I could definitely use some suggestions on this setup. I also couldn't find a decent care sheet on this species. So, if anyone raises them and has more suggestions, let me know because I definitely want to set her up right.

H. Lividum, 1" spiderling. Another one that likes it hot and humid. Smallest size critter keeper for this one, also filled up within 2 inches of the top to prevent any climb up and fall accidents. Same substrate as above. Another nasty little guy who's container I will only access with surgical tongs if at all possible.

Grammastola aureostriatum 1" spiderling. Lower humidity, so I used more peat moss then potting soil. Another small size critter keeper, substrate also up to within 2" of lid to keep him from hurting himself. This one should be a pretty easy keeper. Room temperature. Humidity in the 60-70 range. Though, won't even he need higher humidity as a spiderling? I could've sworn I read somewhere that just about all spiderlings need higher humidity even if they need lower as an adult. I'm really thinking more in the 80-85 range for the humidity.

Usambara Orange Baboon 1.25". Lower humidity, so I used more peat moss then potting soil. Another small size critter keeper, substrate also up to within 2" of lid to keep him from hurting himself. A little lower on one side of the cage for safer access. I know this is another grouchy one. He's also a terrestrial burrower. Any care sheets I've read, recommended lower humidity. Does that still apply at his current size? Should he still be at higher humidity, or just when he's acting like he's going to molt?

Citharischius crawshayi 1". Yeah, I know, probably not a good choice for someone who hasn't had T's for more then a couple years. But, everything I've read says they grow really slowly, so, I'll have a couple years before it's big enough to be really scary. I have a medium sized critter keeper for this guy to give him plenty of burrowing room. I read that they are escape artists, what should he be kept in as he gets bigger? I sure as heck don't want to wake up one morning and see him standing in my kitchen. My bigger tanks have those metal mesh lids on them with a 2lb weight on top just in case. (Yeah, go ahead, call me a chicken) I read that they like average humidity, around 70. Any additional suggestions would be great.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i wouldn't use critter keepers for any of those. the slats/vents are just begging for some kind of problem

i recently had a spider slice it's own foot off from stickign it through one of the prefab'ed animal keeper cages.

plus, at that small of size, one of them will try to jam its body through a vent hole or whatever

at that size i typically keep them in large vials or small jars with appropriate vent cut into them

jenniferinny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Really? I'd never thought of that. I can see how they could though, now that you mention it. I guess I just saw them used all the time and thought they were fine. Though, they're promoted for hermit crabs and are about the worst possible thing you can put a hermie in. I love that, all the absolutely unsafe pet products on the market. Talk about 'buyer beware." Are critter keepers ever safe? Or are they just particularly unsafe because of how small the spiders I'm getting are?

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
just cause of the size of the slings. bigger t's in bigger KK's are fine.

moose

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Really? I'd never thought of that. I can see how they could though, now that you mention it. I guess I just saw them used all the time and thought they were fine. Though, they're promoted for hermit crabs and are about the worst possible thing you can put a hermie in. I love that, all the absolutely unsafe pet products on the market. Talk about 'buyer beware." Are critter keepers ever safe? Or are they just particularly unsafe because of how small the spiders I'm getting are?
i am trying to move away from them... spiderlings try to squish out holes and adults get their feet hurt

that being said... i have something like 10-20 bugs in them right now and have for a couple years and i have only ever had the foot thing happen once to a largish spider... and it was only on this one kind of cage. not the kind that has the sort of "window" on the top of the cage... it was one of the keepers that has the whole top swing open to gain access to the spider. i don't like that kind for a number of reasons

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
heres what i use:
1"

under 3"

deep burrowing slings, trap doors or under 3.75"s

hopes these help and all are really cheap....ok maybe the pomegranate drink lol....

jenniferinny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ah, okay. The ones I have are the ones with the little window access door and no access holes. You can either lift the whole lid off, or open the little window.
But, hey, plastic jars or vials are easy enough to come by. Any particular suggestions for any of the species I picked out? It's easy enough to find care sheets for adults, but not specific to spiderlings. My little Brachypelma smithi is doing great and has already molted twice since I got him in February. He was so tiny couldn't have been more then 1 1/2"when we got him and is already 3" and growing like a weed. I've got a little Lasiodora parahybana that's eating like crazy. Of course, those are two pretty easy species. That's pretty much my only spiderling experience. Everything else was bigger when we got it.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
... I know it needs humidity in the high range, about 78 to 82 and warm temperatures. ...Another one that likes it hot and humid....Lower humidity...Humidity in the 60-70 range...Any care sheets I've read, recommended lower humidity....
All s'lings should be kept on slightly damp substrate as they molt frequently. Anything larger than about 1"-2"+ should be kep on dry substrate with a bowl of fresh water available at all times. Humidity is highly overrated and it's impossible to keep the humidity at the level "care sheets" recommend without inviting trouble.

Care sheets are worthless. While they do tell you a lot about your particular species and where it comes from, do not try to mimic them exactly. It's not only a waste of time, but could potentially invite mold and/or parasites to set up housekeeping in your enclosures.

Ungweliante

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
All s'lings should be kept on slightly damp substrate as they molt frequently. Anything larger than about 1"-2"+ should be kep on dry substrate with a bowl of fresh water available at all times. Humidity is highly overrated and it's impossible to keep the humidity at the level "care sheets" recommend without inviting trouble.

Care sheets are worthless. While they do tell you a lot about your particular species and where it comes from, do not try to mimic them exactly. It's not only a waste of time, but could potentially invite mold and/or parasites to set up housekeeping in your enclosures.
Seconded.

I've had 7 spiders now for over a year at room temperature, room humidity. They're completely ok with it. Sizes range from about 1" up. The humidity can drop to 40% in the Finnish winter and it doesn't seem to bother the spiders at all.

What -is- very important though is proper ventilation. My spider terrariums all have screen-type lids.